The United States observes Memorial Day the last Monday in May, to honor the memories of military personnel who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.
While it’s a day for gathering with families and friends, the day is also considered the unofficial first day of summer, and one way to celebrate the new season is a good, old-fashioned cookout.
Here are some recipes, some from The Tribune’s archives and some submitted, to try this summer.
Penne Pomodoro Style (Janet Chandler)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 16 oz. Mueller’s Penne Rigate
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups diced tomatoes (For a little kick, Chandler likes using Rotel.)
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil or 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 tsp. minced garlic or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook penne rigate according to package instructions.
- Drain, cover and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet.
- Add tomatoes, basil, garlic and chicken broth; simmer for 2 minutes.
- Toss hot pasta with sauces, mix well.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve!
Various Barbecue Sauces from Tribune column “Excerpts from The Champagne Taste; Beer Pocketbook Cookbook” (Charlotte Miller, Cullman Tribune, 1974)
Try one of the following when you need a good barbecue sauce for your ribs, roasts, burgers or hot dogs:
- 2 to 3 cups tomato paste
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1 garlic bud chopped fine
- 3/4 cup oil, butter or margarine
- 3 tsp. prepared mustard
- 4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. relish
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, red and black pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients and boil slowly for about 30 minutes and set aside to cool. You can make your sauce as hot as you like. Makes about a quart, enough for 5 pounds of meat.
Delicious Barbecue Sauce
- 3 pints water
- 1 qt. ketchup
- 1 dash celery seed
- 1 qt. vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups chili powder (two small boxes of chili powder)
- 3 tsp. sugar
Barbecue Sauce for Ribs
- 1 cup claret or burgundy wine
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbs. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 onion, grated
- Generous dashes of cayenne or Tabasco sauce
Sauce to Marinate Steaks
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 1 tsp. accent
- 3 tbsp. lime juice
- Cook 20 minutes.
Viennese Apple Pie from Tribune column “Excerpts from The Champagne Taste; Beer Pocketbook Cookbook” (Charlotte Miller, Cullman Tribune, 1974)
Pastry for 2-crust pie
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tsp. flour
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 3 cups shredded pared baking apples
- 1/2 cup dark seedless raisins
- 3 tbsp. Fleischmann’s margarine
- 1/4 cup chopped Planters Cocktail Peanuts
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- Prepare pastry. Roll out 2/3 dough on floured board to a 12-inch circle; fit into 9-inch pie plate. Set aside with remaining dough.
- In a large bowl mix together with 1/2 cup sugar, flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon peel, then stir in apples and raisins.
- Pour into pastry-lined pie plate with margarine.
- Roll out remaining dough in crisscross fashion and flute edges.
- Mix together Planters peanuts with 1 tbsp. sugar into pie.
- Bake in a hot oven until done.
- Serve warm or cool.
Strawberry Brownies (Debbie Bearden)
- 1 box Duncan Hines strawberry cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 -2 tbsp. water or milk
- 1/2 cup freeze-dried strawberries (roughly crushed)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil; spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix cake mix, oil and eggs until well combined.
- Spread evenly into pan.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until set; do not overbake.
- Let cool 10 minutes; lift carefully using ends of foil.
- Mix powdered sugar and water or milk, pour over brownies and sprinkle roughly crushed freeze-dried strawberries evenly over glaze.
- Allow to cool and glaze to set; cut into squares.
Copyright 2020 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.