City council approves $20M tax abatement for Wal-Mart
CULLMAN, Ala. – The Cullman City Council on Monday night approved a $20 million tax abatement for Wal-Mart, which is planning a $350 million capital investment in the Wal-Mart Distribution Center in south Cullman. According to Cullman Economic Development Agency Director Dale Greer, Wal-Mart plans to automate its distribution center over the next several years.
“$350 million is the largest single capital investment in our history,” Greer stated. “I think this solidifies Wal-Mart’s future here for the foreseeable future. That’s a plus; today they employ 1,300 folks.”
The city abated the noneducational portion of the tax.
“With this investment, it will create $20 million in educational taxes,” said Cullman Mayor Woody Jacobs, who explained that amount will be divided on the state, county and city levels for education. “The good thing about this automation project is that it’s reaffirming Wal-Mart’s relationship with the city of Cullman.”
The council set two public hearings:
- July 7, 2023, at noon, for Ordinance No. 2023-26 to rezone the Nearen property located on U.S. Highway 278 West from E-1 Entertainment District to B-3 Business District
- July 7, 2023, at noon, for Ordinance No. 2023-27 to rezone the Ergle property located on Beech Avenue Southeast from M-1 Manufacturing District to B-2 Business District
The following requests were approved:
- A special event request from Summer Shaddix of 3SIXTY Jeep Club for a Jeepers Creepers Halloween Trunk or Treat event at Depot Park on Saturday, Oct. 28, 2023, from 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
- A request from Taz K&R, LLC, dba Taziki’s Mediterranean Café, of 421 Third Ave. SE, Ste 110, for a restaurant retail liquor license, which received a favorable recommendation from the Alcohol Review Committee
The following resolutions and ordinances were approved:
- Resolution No. 2023-45 to authorize the mayor to make an emergency purchase due to supply chain issues and the construction timeline for the Cullman Civic Center
- Resolution No. 2023-46 to approve a tax abatement for Wal-Mart Store East LP
- Resolution No. 2023-47 to apply for a fiscal year 2024 TAP grant for handicapped-accessible sidewalks along Fourth Avenue Southwest from U.S. Highway 278 to Fourth Street Southwest and along Fourth Street Southwest to the intersection of Fifth Avenue Southwest
- Resolution No. 2023-48 to extend the bid for general excavation and utility work with Manning Construction, LLC through Jan. 20, 2024
- First Reading of Ordinance No. 2023-25 to annex the Jones property located at 60 County Road 1474 as R-1 Residential District
Copyright 2023 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.