HOORAY FOR THE JOY-GIVERS! We always need more smiles, music and laughter. This fun series salutes those seriously unsolemn people, places and things that bring joy to the world. Starting during the pandemic, an oft joy-challenged time, readers are introduced to present-day joy-givers and reminded of cherished joy-givers of the past. Each salute will have online links to add more opportunities for happiness in the comfort of your socially-distanced home. Many installments of the series will include a salutary food or drink recipe to add another element of pleasure.
The “SHIELD THE JOYOUS” shields, which will be given to those honored or to their family, are inspired from a passage in “The Book of Common Prayer” (1662). Prayers are lifted to “tend the sick, give rest to the weary, bless the dying…and shield the joyous.” Joy-givers are precious. Let us preserve them, protect them, treasure them, smile with them, laugh with them, tap our toes with them and give them A ROUND OF APPLAUSE.
PLEASE GIVE A ROUND OF APPLAUSE TO: CHONDA PIERCE
First, let’s share a couple of laughs with this “Queen of Clean Comedy.” In one of her SRO (standing room only) stand-up comedy shows, Chonda said, “I wrote ‘that little, rich girl’ who started the fabulously successful Spanx elastic underwear company and asked her if Spanx would like to sponsor my next comedy concert tour. I was excited to get a quick reply that read, (a beat) “Please quit telling people you wear Spanx.” She followed that self-deprecating humor by adding she then wrote the Depends adult diapers folks. “I suggested this catch phrase, ‘Chonda Pierce is so funny, you’re gonna wet your pants. (pause) Depends.’”
A great way to find out more about this “Christian Comedienne,” which is NOT an oxymoron, is to YouTube a lively interview with Chonda Pierce on CBN, the Christian Broadcasting Network, started by American conservative, evangelical star Pat Robertson. This is ideal for those of us at home during the pandemic. Google online for “Chonda Pierce Brings America Laughter From Her Living Room with ‘QUARANTINE COMICS’ on CBN.”
Chonda Pierce is at the top of the Christian comedy heap, but here are others to bring you some knowing smiles, chuckles and chortles—including some who happen to be men:
- JEFF ALLEN—Laid-back, funny jokes and a great, personal testimony
- KEN DAVIS—This is the “slice of life,” clean comic you want to invite over for a slice of pie, just get ready to spew your coffee like Ricky Ricardo.
- MARK LOWRY—Toured for years with Bill Gaither concerts and knows how to wring the most laughs out of a crowd
- MICHAEL, JR.—This brainy, dry-witted, Black Christian funny man often talks of his humble roots in the church; he is also popular as a star in Christian-based movies.
- TIM HAWKINS—is a rubber-faced clown on par with Jim Carrey, but he always keeps his comedy “clean;” he is a great choice to YouTube and get your entire family laughing.
- ANITA RENFROE—Proof that Chonda Pierce is not the only funny lady in Christian comedy; the two, gifted comediennes often make funny, friendly references to each other.
- TAYLOR MASON—Remember when you were a little kid and you wanted to be an astronaut or a rock star? Apparently, Taylor Mason wanted to be a Christian comic-ventriloquist. How’s that for a niche audience? HILARIOUS. He’s like Jesus Christ meets The Muppets
FREE YOUTUBE ROUND OF CHONDA PIERCE FUN: I hope you’ll check out all these Christian comics for some much-needed, clean laughs and also these Chonda Pierce, laugh-filled faves: “THE BEST OF CHONDA PIERCE PART ONE” (16 minutes) and PART TWO (11 minutes) is also great; “CHONDA PIERCE—THE HONEYMOON PACKAGE STORY” (9 minutes); “HOW CHONDA PIERCE SHUTS UP THE MILLENIALS” (10 minutes) and “MY MOTHER SCARES ME—CHONDA PIERCE” (9 minutes)
Chonda Pierce does a comedy bit where she reminds us that we can get by with a lot if we only add, “in Jesus’ name.” So, while you’re enjoying Chonda Pierce and all these great, Christian comics, enjoy this recipe for BUFFALO WING SHE-DEVIL EGGS, in Jesus’ name, AMEN.
BUFFALO WING SHE-DEVIL EGGS
(adapted from a recipe at TasteOfHome.com—You did know buffaloes come from eggs, right?)
- 12 hard-boiled, large eggs
- 1/2 cup crumbled, bleu cheese, divided
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup finely chopped, cooked chicken breast
- 3 tbsp. buffalo wing sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut eggs lengthwise in half. Remove yolks, reserving whites.
- In a bowl, smash yolks and 1/4 cup bleu cheese.
- Stir in celery, mayo, chicken, parsley, buffalo wing sauce and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into egg whites.
- Refrigerate, covered, at least an hour before serving.
- To serve, sprinkle tops with remaining bleu cheese crumbles and drizzle with additional buffalo wing sauce.
Copyright 2020 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.