From the Files of 1938:
Cullman events of 61 years ago are given.
Cullman of 1877, contrast to present day condition as noted in today’s W.A.P.I. Broadcast.
In examining the files of The Alabama Tribune, published by G.H. Parker and G.A. Prinz, which later became the Cullman Tribune, we find in the March 23rd, 1877 edition, Governor George S. Houston’s Proclamation setting forth the fact that Cullman had been chosen by a 790 to 554 vote over Milner as the county seat of the new county of Cullman, the creation of which had been approved on January 24th, 1877.
The first county officials elected were:
Probate Judge – T.W. McMinn; Circuit Court Clerk – R.H.L. Whorton; Sheriff – J.F. Thomasson; County Treasurer – Joseph Mader; Tax Collector – H.W. Eberley; Tax Assessor – William Sheets; Register in Chancery – J.M. Doyle, City Officials – Mayor – G.A. Prinz; Councilmen – A. Henning, George H. Parker, F. Anthe, C. Fricke, H. Alberding and John Langhoff; Town Clerk – George H. Parker and Town Marshal – Louis G. Kies.
Mr. D.G. Fulmer died at the home of Dock Bradford, about six miles south of Cullman on Monday afternoon, at 3:30 o’clock, following an illness of four weeks, at the age of 84 years.
Mr. Fulmer accepted Christ when a lad of eight years. He had been a member of the Baptist Church for 52 years. As long as his health permitted he attended church regularly.
He is survived by four sons and one daughter, Meredith Fulmer, of Fairfield; A.C. Fulmer, of Cullman Route Four, Reverend B. E. Fulmer, of Cullman Route Six, Reverend O.N. Fulmer, of Warrior, Route Two and Mrs. O.G. Miller, of Warrior, Route Two; several grandchildren and great-grandchildren. The funeral services were conducted on Tuesday afternoon at Sulphur Springs Church in Blount County.
Miss Helen Clark and Carl Cooper were married on December 31, at the home of Reverend P. Theodosius with Father Theodosius speaking the nuptial vows.
Miss Clark was lovely in a blue suit, with white accessories.
The bride’s only attendant was Miss Ruth Kleibacker, who was dressed in a printed crepe, with black accessories.
James Clark, brother of the bride, was best man.
Mrs. Cooper, who is the attractive daughter of Mrs. J.H. Clark and the late Mr. Clark, was educated at Sacred Heart Academy and for several years has been an accountant for the Cullman Compress.
Mr. Cooper is the son of Mr. and Mrs. W.T. Cooper and is a valued employee of the Nehi Bottling Plant.
Immediately after the ceremony the bride and groom left for a short trip, after which they will be at home with the bride’s mother, Mrs. J.H. Clark.
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Edward Hamilton, of Hanceville, announce the marriage of their daughter, Evelyn, to Ottis Burrow, son of Mr. and Mrs. G.C. Burrow, of Good Hope.
The wedding was solemnized on November 11th at the home of Reverend B.E. Fulmer, with Reverend Fulmer officiating.
Miss Kathryn Keyes, of Cullman and Thedric Wells, of Jasper were their only attendants.
Copyright 2018 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.