HANCEVILLE – After a vote at the last meeting to create a Cemetery Rehabilitation Authority, the Hanceville City Council on Thursday voted to appoint three members who were approached and agreed to serve. The members will begin in staggered terms of two, four and six years, so new incoming members will always have an experienced member on the committee. The Cemetery Rehabilitation Authority will be as follows:
- Betty Dover – 2 years
- Norman Boone – 4 years
- Raymond Johns – 6 years
The council voted to pay all current bills, and to pay two bills to Ramer for work on brush trucks in the amounts of $2784.79 and $2400.02.
Next the council considered a request from Charles Allen for support of the upcoming Hanceville Antique Tractor Show. Councilwoman Kim Brown brought a motion to amend the budget and donate $500 for the show. The motion passed.
A motion was made to approve a request from Dana Lisle for a 5K run named the Pi Run, to take place at 9 a.m. on March 11 for support of the Hanceville math team. The motion passed with notice to be sent to the Hanceville Police Department to close off the necessary streets for the run.
After approving the bank accounts balance sheet and previous minutes, the council adjourned.
Before and during the meeting, the mayor and council members announced several upcoming area events:
* Feb. 14 – Hanceville Middle and High School choirs hosting a Valentine's Day dinner at First Methodist Church Hanceville, 6:30 p.m. Choirs and guitar class will perform. $10 meal, $5 music only
* Feb. 23 – Hanceville Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Open House for new therapy service, 5:30-8 p.m.
* Feb. 26 – Reception at Cullman Regional Medical Center to celebrate completion of Refresh a Room project, 2-4 p.m.
* Feb. 27- Mar. 3 – Read Across America reading program at Hanceville Elementary School (reading volunteers requested)
* Mar. 2 – Food Bank of North Alabama Child Hunger Summit at First Baptist Church Huntsville, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
* Mar. 3 – Cullman's Alabama Bicentennial celebration at Depot Park in Cullman
* Mar. 16-17 – Regional archery tournament at Hanceville High School gym, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.(volunteers requested)
The next Hanceville City Council meeting will be Thursday, Feb. 23 at 6:30 p.m. at Hanceville City Hall, with a work session at 6 p.m. The public is invited to attend.
Copyright 2017 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.