AUBURN UNIVERSITY, Ala. – Accept the challenge to walk like a champion all year, but especially during the month of May. May is National Walking Month. You can start by participating in the #Try30 challenge to engage in 30 minutes of physical activity for 30 days. Physical activity is beneficial even in small amounts and you will benefit immediately after walking. Walking is an easy form of physical activity to maintain or improve overall health and reduce or prevent the risk of chronic diseases.
Physical Activity Guidelines
The United States Department of Health and Human Services published physical activity guidelines for various age groups.
- Adults are advised to engage in 150 minutes (about 2.5 hours) of moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity to get the heart beating faster. Or adults can engage in vigorous-intensity physical activity for 75 minutes or an equivalent combination each week.
- Adolescents are advised to engage in 60 minutes of physical activity daily.
- Children 3 to 5 years of age should engage in active play for three hours or more a day.
Benefits of Walking
Walking is one of the most beneficial forms of physical activity or exercise. Walking helps to:
- Reduce the risk of obesity, diabetes, some forms of cancer, high blood pressure and heart disease
- Maintain or lose weight
- Strengthen bones and muscles
- Improve sleep quality
- Improve mental health
- Reduce stress
Become a CHAMPION Today
You can become a champion by joining the Walking Like A CHAMPION Fitness Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/WalkingLikeaCHAMPION) for daily programming and educational sessions at selected dates and times.
Sign up for a Walking Like A CHAMPION session to:
- Log your time, miles and steps,
- Understand your level of readiness,
- Set SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound) goals and
- Learn about benefits, form, dress attire and the importance of staying hydrated while walking.
The assessment, available through the program, helps to track progress and ensure that participants feel, function and sleep better. It also helps to reduce risk factors associated with chronic diseases. Sign up today and walk like a champion!
CHAMPION: Community Health Aerobic Motivational Program Initiating Optimal Nutrition provides adults and youth with health, nutrition, and physical activity programs to live a healthier life (https://www.aces.edu/blog/topics/health-nutrition-products-programs-urban/champion-health-nutrition-exercise/).