Maresh goes on trial in 2018 murder of Daniel Osborn

Andrew Maresh. (Photo courtesy of CCSO)

CULLMAN, Ala. – Andrew Maresh, 21, of Falkville, began his trial following jury selection on Monday in the 2018 death of Daniel Ray Osborn II. Maresh and co-defendant Tyler Hudson are charged with shooting Osborn on the property of Maresh’s grandmother Susan Smith on County Road 1534 near Fairview and burying the body at the same location. Hudson currently awaits trial and has been called as a witness in Maresh’s case. 

According to court records, the Cullman County Sheriff’s Office received an anonymous tip on March 26, 2018 that Osborn was buried on Smith’s property. CCSO investigators located the body later that day. They picked up Hudson the same day following the discovery, and Maresh turned himself in accompanied by an attorney that evening. Smith was later charged with murder and hindering prosecution for not reporting the incident or location of the body on her property.

A Cullman County Sheriff’s Office report on the case indicates that Maresh blamed Hudson for the murder and initially denied any part in the crime.  According to the report:

He (Maresh) told investigators that on 2/3/2018 he was with Tyler Hudson and Daniel Osborn at his grandmother’s residence. Hudson and Osborn got into some kind of altercation or argument near the shop located on the property.  He went inside the shop and a short time later, heard two gunshots ring out. Hudson then walked back in and told him he had shot Osborn. He said Hudson then buried the body of Osborn behind the pool area by himself.  Maresh said he never participated in the murder or burial of Daniel Osborn.

Later, however, according to the same report:

On 3/29/18, Investigator (Joey) Clark learned that Maresh wanted to talk with him again about this case.  Maresh was given his Miranda Rights again which he waived and stated that he did not need, nor want, his attorney present.  He told the investigator that he did actually help in the burial of Osborn. He and Hudson went to Lowe’s earlier to purchase shovels to aid in the burial.  He further said he told his grandmother that Osborn was buried on her property after an altercation between the three of them where Osborn was shot and killed.

District Court records, made before the case was transferred to the Circuit Court, said that Hudson “stated that he is in fear of his own life and that he would commit suicide due to the fact that he couldn’t live with what he had done,” and, “The offender admitted to being involved in a murder on February 3, 2018.”  The record also said that Maresh admitted to his involvement, and that he “has made threats toward the co-defendant as well as witnesses to this case.”

Maresh and Hudson have been in custody since their arrest, housed separately. For hearings, the court and CCSO made arrangements for them to be transported and appear separately.

Maresh applied for Youthful Offender status and was interviewed in 2018. In the interview, he stated that he had dropped out of Fairview High School in the 11th grade to be homeschooled by his grandmother, and that both of his parents had criminal records and histories of substance abuse. He said that he had been using drugs since he was 14. Parole Officer Marcus Huber recommended against Youthful Offender status and Judge Martha Williams denied the application, leaving Maresh to face the murder charge as an adult. He also entered a plea of not guilty due to mental disease or defect, and his attorney applied for a mental evaluation, but the results were not released.

The witness list for the trial includes co-defendant Hudson and Smith, called as witnesses for the prosecution, along with numerous CCSO officers and Sheriff Matt Gentry, members of Osborn’s family, and others. The list did not include any witnesses for the defense.

Copyright 2021 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.


W.C. Mann