CULLMAN, Ala. – If your checkbook has made it from Black Friday to Cyber Monday intact and your credit card hasn’t melted yet, Tuesday could give you an opportunity to open the piggy bank for some truly worthwhile spending. Dubbed “GivingTuesday,” the movement that began in 2012 sets aside the Tuesday following Thanksgiving as a day to encourage Christmas shoppers and others to share a little of the wealth with local charities and other organizations in their local communities.
According to www.givingtuesday.org, GivingTuesday is a global generosity movement that unleashes the power of people and organizations to transform their communities and their world.
“GivingTuesday was created in 2012 as a simple idea: a day that encourages people to do good. Over the past seven years, this idea has grown into a global movement that inspires hundreds of millions of people to give, collaborate, and celebrate generosity.
“GivingTuesday strives to build a world in which the catalytic power of generosity is at the heart of the society we build together, unlocking dignity, opportunity and equity around the globe.
“GivingTuesday’s global network collaborates year-round to inspire generosity around the world, with a common mission to build a world where generosity is part of everyday life.”
The Tribune visited the givingtuesday.org website, which has a list of registered Cullman-area participant organizations, along with Facebook and other social media (No campaigns were located on Instagram or Twitter that were not also on Facebook) to locate local entities seeking contributions on GivingTuesday. Some are well-known while others are not; a few might even raise questions for some folks. No exclusions were made. Websites and contact information have been included so potential donors can learn more and judge for themselves.
Organizations listed on the givingtuesday.org website
- Christians Living Proof Ministries, Inc.; faith-based evangelism; P.O. Box 129, Cullman, AL 35056; 256-347-1828; visit www.christianslivingproof.com
- Cullman Christian School; faith-based education; P.O. Box 2655, Cullman, AL 35056; 256-734-0734; visit www.cullmanchristian.org
- Helping Hands Healing Hearts Ministries; faith-based children’s ministry in The Philippines; 313 Second Ave. SW, Cullman, AL 35055; visit http://helpinghandsministries.com
- Hope Horses, Inc.; therapeutic horsemanship; 1301 Convent Road NE, Cullman, AL 35055; 256-841-6290; visit www.hopehorsesinc.com
- Karma in Cullman; assistance to people in need; 785 Alabama Hwy. 157, Cullman, AL 35058; 256-735-3942; visit http://karmaincullman.org
- North Alabama Agriplex; agricultural education; 1714 Talley Ho St./PO Box 2428, Cullman, AL 35056; 256-297-1044; visit www.agriplex.org
- Saving Forgotten Warriors; veterans’ services; 1528 Peach Tree Lane, Cullman, AL 35058; 256-747-5006; visit www.savingforgottenwarriors.com
- The Landing Theatre Company; Houston, TX-based playwriting support group with local address listed on givingtuesday.org website; (address and phone for The Link of Cullman County); 256-775-0028 (phone number for The Link of Cullman County); visit www.landingtheatre.org
- Unsheltered International; faith-based homeless ministry; P.O. Box 2625, Cullman, AL 35056; 256-737-0112 (Temple Baptist Church, location of ministry’s financial office); visit www.unsheltered.org
Organizations listed on the Facebook Fundraisers page as Giving Tuesday campaigns
Facebook will match funds up to a certain amount, on a first-come-first-served basis for donations made to registered GivingTuesday campaigns. In some cases, two or more people started their own campaigns for the same cause. Those listed here were the first to occur on the Facebook list. Others can be found at www.facebook.com/fundraisers/explore/search/fundraisers/?source=fundraiser_hub_explore_search&query=cullman.
- American Cancer Society (Cullman County Sheriff’s Office Relay for Life team), cancer cure and prevention; visit Cullman County Relay page https://secure.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLCY20SOR?pg=entry&fr_id=95703; campaign www.facebook.com/donate/474556733326481/
- Brooks’ Place Child Advocacy Center; services for child victims of crime; 256-739-2243; visit www.facebook.com/brooksplacecac/; campaign www.facebook.com/donate/2505630502884595/
- Cullman Area Animal Welfare Association; animal welfare promotion; visit www.caawarescue.com/; campaign www.facebook.com/donate/2505528183101334/
- Cullman Caring for Kids; child abuse prevention, community food pantry; P.O. Box 698, Cullman, AL 35055; 256-739-1111; campaign www.facebook.com/donate/738724499943268/
- Cullman Christian School; same information as above; campaign www.facebook.com/donate/596539157775876/10157972576113534/
- Cullman Community Radio, Inc.; public communications; PO Box 547, Cullman, AL 35056; 256-735-8424; visit www.live95cullman.com; campaign www.facebook.com/donate/555668208327943/
- Curt’s Closet; services to children and youth in need; 1515 St. Joseph St. NW, Cullman, AL 35055; 256-735-4557; visit www.facebook.com/cw20curtscloset/; campaign www.facebook.com/donate/436752213656854/
- Flourish of Cullman; job and life needs support for people with special needs; 1244 Apt. B, County Road 735, Cullman, AL 35055; 256-339-3078; visit www.flourishofcullman.com; campaign www.facebook.com/donate/1190377084503470/
- Karma in Cullman; same information as above; campaign https://www.facebook.com/donate/423471214987951/
- The Link of Cullman County; faith-based poverty services; 708 Ninth St. SE, Cullman, AL 35055; 256-775-0028; campaign www.facebook.com/donate/3129398090420058/2852861211404324/
- United Cerebral Palsy Association of Huntsville and Tennessee Valley; provides CP services to Cullman County and north Alabama; 2075 Max Luther Dr. NW, Huntsville, AL 35810; 256-852-5600; visit http://ucphuntsville.org; campaign www.facebook.com/donate/576811253073393/
- United Way of Cullman County; support for multiple community organizations; P.O. Box 116, Cullman, AL 35056; 256-739-2948; visit www.uwaycc.org; campaign www.facebook.com/donate/436752213656854/
- Unsheltered International; same information as above; campaign www.facebook.com/donate/2280471245577029/2760083110709351/
- Victim Services of Cullman, Inc.; domestic violence response and prevention; 256-775-2600; visit www.victimservicesofcullman.com; campaign www.facebook.com/donate/2194841394153234/
- Victoria’s Hope; assistance to families in need; 1430 4th St. SW, Cullman, AL 35055; visit www.facebook.com/victoriashope1952/; campaign www.facebook.com/donate/2203408409760003/
Copyright 2019 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.