‘The updated sidewalks and lighting will benefit everyone’

Phase V of the City of Cullman’s Downtown Streetscape Project should be complete in October

By:
0
1983
Workers from Powe General Contracting work on sidewalks along U.S. Highway 278 in downtown Cullman. (Maggie Darnell for The Cullman Tribune)

CULLMAN, Ala. – Since the week of May 20, there’s been construction happening along U.S. Highway 278 in downtown Cullman. Sidewalks from First Avenue Southeast to Third Avenue Southeast are being rehabilitated and made handicapped-accessible, part of Phase V of the City of Cullman’s Downtown Streetscape Project, which will add to a number of sidewalks and street crossings in downtown Cullman that have recently been improved to comply with regulations under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

The City received a Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) Grant from the Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT) earmarked for the project. The grant covers 80 percent of the project costs; the City is responsible for the other 20 percent.  The total cost of the project is $359,036.25.

Along with ALDOT, the City of Cullman Water/Sewer Department, AT&T, K&M Electrical, the City of Cullman Engineering Department, CDG Engineers (acting as consultants) and contractors from Powe General Contracting are all involved with the project.

Cullman City Engineer Erica York shared, “The project involves the rehabilitation and construction of new handicapped-accessible/ADA-compliant sidewalks and pedestrian crossings and improvements to the lighting and aesthetics of the area.”

She continued, “Sidewalks should be finished mid-October. Final checklist items and ALDOT walk-through should be complete by the end of October. Some handrails will be added at some of the elevation changes. Other than that, it’s just the concrete and brick pavers and then the ADA requirements.”

“It’s always good to be able to get a grant to improve our city! The work along U.S. 278 will create ADA-complaint sidewalks and crossings, and the updated sidewalks and lighting will benefit everyone,” said Cullman Mayor Woody Jacobs. “This project will connect to previous phases of the Downtown Streetscape Project, and we look forward to extending our Christmas lighting to this area, as well.”

Copyright 2019 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.