CULLMAN, Ala. – The Cullman County Commission on Wednesday morning approved the use of the Cullman County Agricultural Trade Center for the last two weekends in October for a special event, the “Nightmare in Vinemont.” The outdoor event, consisting of a haunted house and hayrides, will be hosted by the Vinemont-Providence Volunteer Fire Department, with proceeds going to the department’s Explorer Program for 14-18-year-old firefighters going through training.
Admission is $15. The event will take place Oct. 23-25 and Oct. 30-31 from 8 p.m.-midnight at the Cullman County Agricultural Trade Center, 17645 U.S. Highway 31, Cullman, AL 35058.
Members of the Cullman Area Rural Transportation System (CARTS) team were recognized at Wednesday’s meeting for their achievements at the 2020 Alabama RTAP Statewide Bus & Paratransit ROADEO. Teresa Givens took home first place in the Minivan Division. Second place in the Small Bus Division went to Jody Glover and Cindy Burgett earned a nomination for the Driver Spirit Award.
Chief Mike Hill from the Bethel Gum Pond Volunteer Fire Department in Eva visited the commission to present a plaque to the Cullman County Water Department to show appreciation for its assistance and support of the Morgan County Fire Service.
Hill explained, “Six years ago we worked with a partnership with the Cullman County commissioners and the water department and started a water project. That was in September of 2014. We finished that water project in March of 2018.”
According to Hill, his area has seen an additional 10 miles of water lines and approximately 40 more hydrants.
“What it did for the homeowners’ insurance and for the fire protection coverage in Morgan County, it’s saving the homeowners about $92,000 a year,” he said.
The partnership also allowed for new hydrants around Bethel Gum Pond’s new training facility. Many Cullman County fire departments have utilized the new training center.
Commissioner Garry Marchman added, “When you can do something like this and join forces with other counties to do something, it’s a big deal. People who aren’t in this business might not realize it, but it’s a big deal.”
In other business, the commission:
- Passed a resolution to vacate a 50-foot right-of-way between lots 3 and 4 on Lake David Drive NW in Cullman
- Ratified City of Cullman amended abatement for REHAU Automotive, LLC in the amount of $24,844,900
- Authorized Chairman Kenneth Walker and EMA Director Phyllis Little to sign the FY-2020 EMPG Agreement
- Authorized Walker and Little to sign the FY-2020 EMPG Supplement Grant
- Authorized Walker and Little to sign the FY 2020 EMPG State Allocation Grant
- Authorized Walker to sign a waiver of liability and event agreement with Vinemont-Providence Fire Department
- Ratified the payment to TRANE for HVAC repairs at the Cullman County Detention Center for $5,902.47
- Ratified the payment for Volunteer Fire Training Center Liability Insurance for $5,031
- Ratified the signing of a JAG Grant through ADECA in the amount of $24,000 for the sheriff’s office
- Approved Harris Maintenance Agreement for County software for FY 2020-2021 for $18,114.42
- Approved the annual subscription for the revenue mapping software for $50,000 to be paid by the reappraisal budget
- Approved repairs to the septic system at Smith Lake Park
- Approved the annual premium for the Volunteer Fire Workers Comp. for $10,941
- Approved the purchase of six tandem dump beds and frame length reduction from Warren Truck and Trailer, Inc. for the road department for $132,840
- Surplus of a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado to be transferred from reappraisal to the County garage
- Surplus of trucks from sanitation department
- Approved the purchase of two 2021 Freightliner M2-106s for sanitation for $424,829.32 (total cost offset by the surplus of trucks)
- Extended bid for Emulsified Asphalt to Ergon Company
- Accepted bid for road widener
- Accepted bid for corrugated plastic pipe to Bear Concrete
The next commission meeting will be Thursday, Oct. 29, 2020 at 10 a.m. in the commission meeting room.
Copyright 2020 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.