Brindley Mountain BBQ fire: ‘It’s a complete loss’

By:
0
2201
Photo courtesy of Nick Lee

Fairview’s popular Brindley Mountain BBQ was declared a complete loss after a fire Tuesday morning. (Photo courtesy of Nick Lee)

FAIRVIEW – A fire swept through Brindley Mountain BBQ in Fairview Tuesday morning, and Fairview Volunteer Fire Department Chief Doug Williams said Tuesday afternoon that the building is a complete loss.

The fire began at approximately 10:16 a.m. at the restaurant, located at 7472 Alabama Highway 69 N, across from Hopper's Family Market and very near the fire department.

“A new smoker had been installed in the last couple of weeks,” said Williams. “The owner built a fire in it and left to go buy some meat (at Hopper’s). When he came back the building was on fire.”

The smoker was in a metal building attached to the structure of the restaurant, which was in 1970s-built home.

“The flames went through the attic almost immediately,” said Williams. “That old (house) had two or three roofs, and all of that air space acted as a chimney. And being as old as it was, the wood was dried out.”

Williams said the whole structure will have to be torn down and rebuilt.

“Very few things salvageable,” he said. “It’s a complete loss, a total loss. The fire destroyed everything inside pretty much, except for maybe a few tables and chairs still standing that might could be cleaned.”

No one was in the restaurant at the time of the fire, and there were no injuries.

Williams said fire departments from Gold Ridge, Baileyton, Holly Pond and Berlin assisted Fairview at the scene.

Fire departments were back in service by 2:45 p.m. Tuesday.

Copyright 2018 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.