PREP FOOTBALL: Fairview races past Columbia 46-6

Fairview running back Eli Frost. (Martha Needham/The Cullman Tribune)

FAIRVIEW, Ala. – On a hot and humid Friday night in Fairview, the Columbia Eagles traveled from Huntsville to take on the Fairview Aggies at Dafford Smith Stadium. At the end an often-contentious game, Fairview came away with a dominant, 46-6 win over the Eagles.

Featuring a balanced game plan of run and pass, the Aggies marched down the field on their first possession. A nine play, 80-yard drive was culminated by Eli Frost running for a four-yard touchdown. The PAT was no good and the game was at 6-0 with 10:09 left in the first quarter.

After a run for loss, an incomplete pass and a false start penalty, it appeared the Eagles would be forced to punt on their first possession. The Eagles had different ideas when their quarterback hit a wide-open receiver for 72-yard touchdown to tie the game at 6-6 with 8:50 remaining in the first quarter. Fairview blocked the PAT.

On the Eagles next possession, the Aggies defense made adjustments and held the Eagles to negative yards and forced a punt. The Aggies took over on their own 20-yard line. Featuring the hard running of Barrett York on a seven play 80-yard drive, he scored on a 10-yard touchdown run with 6:51 left in the first quarter. PAT was good and the Aggies led 13-6.

Fairview survived a defensive pass interference call to once again force the Eagles to punt. On a shortened field, the Aggies scored quickly with Frost running for a touchdown from seven yards out. With 2:46 left in the first quarter, Fairview increased their lead to 20-6.

After extended delays in the second quarter, the Aggies added to their lead Frost scored his third touchdown of the half, this time from 7 yards out, to make it 26-6 game. Not long after that, Carson Jones ran one into the end zone from 34 yards out to extend Fairview’s lead to 33-6.

An interception by Jace Stevens gave the Aggies great field position. Two plays later, Carson Jones caught a touchdown pass and the lead was 39-6 with 3:29 left in the first half.

After the Aggies blocked a punt, Zayden Cruce caught a touchdown pass and the final score of the game was 46-6 for a Fairview victory.

The second half was shortened for several reasons including the heat. No scoring happened in the second half.

After the game, Coach Redding said, “It was good to finally play a game. We have a lot of things to work on to get better. I’m really excited about this team.”

The Aggies travel to Priceville next week to take on the Bulldogs.

Copyright 2023 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.