We are less than one month until we officially join the American Athletic Conference on July 1, 2023. Before we look completely ahead to this new era that is set to begin in The American, I wanted to reflect on the many milestones as we conclude the 2022-23 year.
The Blazers experienced impressive success in many of our programs during the 2022-23 seasons.
- UAB Football won the HomeTown Lenders Bahamas Bowl and is coming off back-to-back bowl game victories for the first time in school history.
- Women’s Soccer finished their season 9-4-5 and put together a program record 10-match unbeaten streak during the months of September and October.
- Men’s Basketball finished the 2022-23 season with a program record 29 wins and advanced to the NIT Championship game in Las Vegas.
- UAB Softball completed the season 29-25 and finished second in conference standings during the regular season. In addition, Sierra Frazier was named the 2023 C-USA Player of the Year, while first-year head coach A.J. Daugherty received the 2023 C-USA Coach of the Year award.
- Beach Volleyball advanced to the Conference USA semifinals for the first time in school history with a win over #12 FIU.
- Men’s Tennis finished 21-7 and reached the C-USA Tournament Semifinals.
- UAB Athletics replaced the natural surface at Young Memorial Field with a new artificial surface.
- UAB Athletics created a dance studio for our cheer and dance programs.
- UAB Athletics successfully hosted the C-USA Indoor Track Championships along with the NCAA Beach Volleyball Championships.
- The UAB Athletics Communications staff was recognized with the FWAA Super 11 Award for only the second time in our department’s history!
Blazer student-athletes are graduating with honors and exceling academically. I am proud to report departmental GPAs over 3.25 in both the fall and spring semesters during the 2022-23 academic year. Our graduation success rate has also climbed up to 94 percent. In addition, UAB student-athletes completed over 4,000 community service hours in the 2022-23 academic year and continue to make a difference in our community. The UAB Department of Athletics also launched Blazer Made to aid in delivering student-athlete development programming.
Our alumni and friends continue to support UAB Athletics and our student-athletes in strong fashion through Blazer Boosters. The Blazer Scholarship Fund eclipsed $2.5 million for consecutive giving years in 2022, and Blazer Boosters members stepped up to complete the funding necessary for the $22.5 million Football Operations Facility and Legacy Pavilion project. Stay tuned for some more exciting facility announcements as we ‘Power Up’ to compete in the American Athletic Conference.
Your continued support will better position UAB Athletics to compete at the next level during our inaugural year as members of the AAC. Please take the opportunity to join Blazer Boosters by making a philanthropic gift or by renewing your scholarship seat fees. Your Blazer Boosters membership – which begins at $50 annually – directly impacts our student-athletes ability to Win Championships, Graduate with Honors and Make a Difference in our community.
UAB finished second in Conference USA in both football and men’s basketball attendance during the regular seasons. In addition to UAB Athletics surpassing $2.5 million in gross ticket sales revenue for the second consecutive year, your support makes a huge difference in our gameday atmosphere. Season tickets for the 2023-24 men’s basketball season are now available starting as low as $110. Our community engagement efforts also led to a significant increase in student attendance, particularly at men’s basketball games during the 2022-23 season.
Led by first year head coach Trent Dilfer, UAB Football is looking to build upon our recent success as we enter this new era in a new league. Secure your season tickets for the 2023 season and guarantee yourself the best seats at Protective Stadium. Click here to purchase season tickets or request more information by calling the UAB Athletics Ticket Office at (205) 975-UAB1.
Corporate support remains strong as Blazer Sports Properties noted record revenue in 2022-23 along with the most client partners in UAB’s history with Learfield. UAB and Learfield also partnered to add a new position – Director of Business Development – NIL this past year. As a reminder, fans, businesses, alumni and others can connect with UAB student-athletes through the UAB Local Exchange.
Thank you again for your support and for everything you do to advance UAB Athletics and impact our student-athletes. To continue to win championships, we need you invested with both your resources and time to push our programs to new heights. Have a great summer, and I look forward to seeing you in the fall as we compete as members of the American Athletic Conference!
Mark T. Ingram
UAB Director of Athletics