PREP FOOTBALL: Fairview blows past West Point 49-21

Fairview’s Parker Martin (9) scored five touchdowns in the Aggies’ 49-21 win over West Point Friday night. (Bill Piper/The Cullman Tribune)

FAIRVIEW, Ala. — Fairview hosted the West Point Warriors Friday night for its homecoming game in the latest edition of the Brandin’ Iron Bowl. Despite West Point’s plans to ruin homecoming night, the Aggies took care of business and scored early and often to defeat West Point 49-21. 

Receiving the opening kickoff, Fairview’s Eli Frost put the Aggies in great field position returning it all the way to midfield. Senior running back Tyler Simmons would rip off a big 28 yard run a couple plays later, followed by a Parker Martin 23-yard touchdown run on the quarterback keeper. Just when things couldn’t get worse for the Warriors, Fairview pulled a fast one when Martin faked the field goal and found Dalton Payne in the end zone for the 2-point conversion. 

Down 8-0 less than a minute into the game, West Point went three and out after Frost continued to make his imprint, this time a big 3rd down sack. Starting once again at midfield Fairview would continue to move the ball behind Simmons and Parker eventually setting up another quarterback keep for 6. After the extra point was good Fairview took a quick 15-0 lead. 

West Point’s troubles would continue after Payne would pick off Hunter Hensley, West Point’s QB1, on a 3rd and 12. Two plays later? Martin would keep piling it on this time finding Jameson Goble on a 24-yard touchdown pass. Fairview’s dominant defense would continue as linebacker Cale Foster kept the talented Warrior senior running back, Kelton Washington, bottled up. On another 3rd and long Martin showed why he’s a two-time All-State defensive back, picking off Hensley one more time. 

This is where if your name is Eli, you likely scored a touchdown. One play later Eli Frost continued his play making ability bulldozing over Warriors on his way to a 56-yard touchdown run putting Fairview up 29-0 with most the second quarter to play. On the ensuing kickoff senior wide receiver caught it with his heels just on the goal line, only to break tackle after tackle on his way to a 100-yard kickoff return for the touchdown, making it 29-7. 

With the ball back to Fairview Eli Frost went right back to work carrying the ball 7 times on the 9-yard drive, capping it off with another touchdown. Eli Folds refusing to be outdone would continue his tackle breaking just two plays later taking off for an 87-yard touchdown pass from Hensley giving us a 36-13 game after the blocked PAT. 

After saving a safety on a bad snap Fairview found itself on the 1-yard line with momentum starting to shift heading into the half. On 3rd and 21 Martin would hit Caden Jennings on a wide receiver screen that would go for 27 yards, picking up a huge first down. On another long 3rd and 13 with 1:51 to go, and West Point desperate to get the ball back, Martin would again find the open target for a first down, this time Jameson Goble. Just a few plays later Martin seemed dead in his tracks only to scramble his way out of the pocket and squeeze through the back seven for a 25-yard touchdown run right before the half. 

Fairview racked up a mind blowing 351 first half yards on their way to a 42-13 halftime lead. West Point’s woes would continue in the second half as many drives were plagued by bad snaps, putting them far behind the sticks. Fairview would find the end zone on their first drive of the second half with Martin again finding Goble, this time for a 35-yard touchdown. With the game out of hand at 49-13 the second team finished out the rest of the game with the exception of special teams. Why mention that? With just seconds remaining Suyeta DrowningBear caught a booming punt and took it 80 yards to the house for West Point’s third explosive touchdown of the night giving us a 49-21 final. 

Despite the blowout, Washington continued battling finishing with 66 yards on 19 carries against a very tough Fairview defense. Martin would finish 7/12 on the night with 225 total yards and five touchdowns (three rushing, two passing). Frost ended up with 114 yards on his 12 carries and two rushing downs. Simmons would add 84 yards on 10 carries, and Goble finished with three receptions, 79 yards and two touchdowns. 

Goble, who has made big plays all over the field all year long, had this to say on his big night, “It was great to see us play well, but we have to keep getting better.” 

Martin would echo the same, “It’s great to be in the position we’re at halfway through the season. With an off week before a big game at Boaz, hopefully we can keep drilling the little things and keep getting better.” 

Fairview Head Coach George Redding wrapped up the night saying,

“I’m Happy with how we played tonight, but we just have to keep fixing the mistakes. Those explosive plays, specifically on special teams, defending the RPOs,” Redding said. “With the off week next we it’ll be a great opportunity to get better.”

West Point continues a brutal 4-game road trip next week with a trip to Hayden. Fairview heads into a bye week, resting up before a crucial game with playoff hosting rights on the line at Boaz Oct.1.

Copyright 2021 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.