UNITED STATES – The riots that have followed many peaceful protests across the country over the last several days have resulted in millions of dollars in damage and more than 9,000 arrests. They have also led to the deaths of at least two law enforcement officers and injuries to more than 400 others. The unrest was sparked by the death of George Floyd, an African-American man who died after being taken into custody by the Minneapolis Police May 25, 2020.
- Albany, NY – police officer hit by a brick on May 30; treated and released
- Asbury Park, NJ – police officer hit by a rock on June 1; condition unknown
- Atlanta, GA – police officer Maximilian Brewer struck by an ATV on May 30; recovering from surgery
- Boston, MA – seven officers suffered unspecified injuries; conditions unknown
- Brockton, MA – state trooper and multiple police officers hit by bottles and rocks on June 2; conditions unknown
- Buffalo, NY – Buffalo officer and two state troopers struck by vehicles on June 1, one of those troopers run over and suffered serious injuries; conditions unknown
- Champaign, IL – multiple officers suffered unspecified minor injuries on May 31
- Columbia, SC – three Richland County Sheriff’s deputies and 12 Columbia officers suffered unspecified minor injuries on May 30
- Chicago – 132 officers suffered unspecified injuries in multiple incidents over the weekend through Monday, June 1. One officer was seriously injured with broken bones on May 30.
- Davenport, IA – undercover officer in unmarked vehicle shot in ambush on June 1; condition unknown
- Denver, CO – three officers struck by a vehicle in a hit-and-run incident on May 30; two have been released from the hospital, condition of the third unknown
- Harrisburg, PA – two Pennsylvania Capitol Police officers suffered unspecified minor injuries on May 30
- Huntsville, AL – one officer suffered a minor injury to his head by a thrown object on June 3
- Jacksonville, FL – a police officer’s neck was slashed by a rioter; condition unknown
- Las Vegas, NV – Las Vegas Police officer Shay Mikalonis was shot in the head during a protest on June 1; currently on life support in critical condition. Twelve other officers injured on May 29; conditions unknown
- Los Angeles, CA – 27 Los Angeles police officers injured in multiple incidents, one suffering a fractured skull
- New York City, NY – at least 33 officers injured in multiple incidents; conditions unknown. One officer struck by a vehicle in intentional hit-and-run; hospitalized in stable condition. One officer stabbed in the neck and two others shot in ambush; conditions unknown
- Oakdale, CA – two officers suffered unspecified minor injuries breaking up a fight between protesters and counterprotesters
- Oak Lawn, IL – three officers suffered unspecified minor injuries on June 1
- Oakland, CA – End of Watch May 29 – Federal law enforcement officer David Patrick Underwood was shot and killed in a drive-by ambush outside the Ronald V. Dellums Federal Building where he and another officer were providing security. The other officer was also wounded and is in critical condition.
- Philadelphia, PA – at least 13 officers suffered unspecified minor injuries in multiple incidents
- Pittsburgh, PA – nine officers suffered unspecified minor injuries from thrown objects on June 1; treated and released
- Prince William County, VA – four county officers hit by rocks and other objects in the overnight period of May 30-31; one hospitalized. Virginia State Police reported 10 troopers injured.
- Providence, RI – eight to ten officers were hit by bricks on June 2; only minor injuries reported
- Richmond, VA – two Capitol police officers hit by baseball bat and beer bottle on May 30; recovering. Two officers struck during exchange of gunfire with rioter
- Sacramento, CA – seven officers sustained minor injuries when hit by objects on May 29
- Salt Lake City, UT – 21 officers injured on May 30, including one hit in the head with a baseball bat; all treated and released
- San Antonio, TX – three officers hit by thrown bricks and bottles; conditions unknown
- San Jose, CA – multiple officers struck by rocks and bottles on May 29; one officer hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries
- Santa Ana, CA – two officers hit in the head by flying objects, possibly fireworks, on May31; both hospitalized
- St. Louis, MO – End of Watch June 2 – Retired police Captain David Dorn was killed by a gunshot fired by a looter, as he was checking on a store owned by a friend. Four other officers were shot on the same day when an unknown shooter took random shots at a police line; wounds were not considered life-threatening.
- Washington, D.C. – approximately 50 agents and 11 police officers injured by bricks, bottles and Molotov cocktails on May 31. Most injuries minor, but one police officer will require surgery for broken leg.
- Wichita, KS – three officers hit by rocks, bottles and cinder blocks; treated and released
Note: this list does not include officers who were assaulted without injury, including officers who were protected from harm by ballistic armor.
Alabama officer’s death under investigation
The deaths of Moody, AL Police Sergeant Stephen Williams, who was shot while responding to a call at a Moody area motel, and Alexander, AR officer Scott Hutton, who was found shot inside a home in that community, are under investigation but have not yet been linked to any protest.
Deaths of protesters, rioters and bystanders
Civilian casualties of riots also continue to rise. More than 30 deaths suspected to be connected to protests and riots include:
- Former Indiana University football star Chris Beaty, 38, and a yet unknown 18-year-old were shot to death in separate incidents near a protest event in Indianapolis, IN; police have not said if the deaths were directly connected to the protest.
- Jorge Gomez, 25, was shot to death by police in Las Vegas, after he approached a group of officers and pointed a firearm at them.
- Calvin Horton, 43, was shot to death outside a Minneapolis, MN pawn shop by the business owner. The store was looted, but it is not known if Horton was involved.
- Italia Kelly, 22, was shot to death in her car while leaving a demonstration in Davenport, IA. The shooter is unknown.
- David McAtee, 53, shot to death in Louisville, KY in an exchange of gunfire between rioters and law enforcement officers and National Guard troops. The identity and affiliation of the shooter remains unknown, though the shot is suspected to have come from police or soldiers.
- Sean Monterrosa, 22, was shot and killed by a police officer in Vallejo, CA. He appeared to have been involved in looting, but witnesses reported that he was on his knees surrendering when the officer mistook a hammer tucked in his belt for a gun.
- Barry Perkins, 29, was dragged and run over by a FedEx truck in St. Louis, MO when the group he was with surrounded the truck and began removing packages. Police reports indicated that at least two guns were pointed at the driver by rioters before he drove away, dragging Perkins.
- James Scurlock, 22, shot to death in Omaha, NE by a bar owner he attacked outside the bar during a riot. Based on video evidence, the shooting was ruled self-defense.
- A yet unnamed man connected by video evidence to a group of looters was found shot to death in Davenport, IA at the site of the ambush of three police officers that sent one to the hospital. A gun was found under his body.
- An unnamed 24-year-old man died attempting to open an ATM machine with explosives in Philadelphia.
- A yet unnamed man was shot to death while sitting in his car at a protest event in Detroit.
- Two unnamed people were killed during protests in Cicero, IL; the circumstances are unknown.
- Authorities reported 17 people killed during protests in Chicago over the weekend of May 30-31. No details have been released.
Copyright 2020 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.