CULLMAN, Ala. – The Cullman City Council on Monday evening set a public hearing for Monday, Jan. 13, 2020 at 7 p.m. for an ordinance to establish an arts and entertainment district on Cullman’s west side.
The boundaries for the new district would be (from the ordinance): “the northeast corner of the intersection of Fifth Avenue SW and Sixth Street SW; then turn north onto Fifth Avenue SW until Fourth Street SW; then turn west onto Fourth Street SW until Hickory Avenue SW; then turn north onto Hickory Avenue SW until First Street SW; then turn east onto First Street SW until 3rd Avenue SW; then turn south onto Third Avenue SW until Sixth Street SW; and then turn west onto Sixth Street SW until the point of beginning.”
This would include areas from Art Park down to U.S. Highway 278, over the blocks between First Baptist Church and the Cullman Civic Center. The district would reach Third Avenue Southwest, immediately west of U.S. Highway 31, but not to the highway itself.
According to Cullman City Clerk Wesley Moore, the creation of the arts and entertainment district would be primarily to facilitate the planning and holding of special events and would have the same alcohol regulations as the current entertainment district on the city’s east side.
The public is invited to attend, ask questions and give input on the proposed plan Monday, Jan. 13.
Grants accepted for community improvement
The council accepted two community development grants:
- A $450,000 Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) to implement a CDBG Economic Development Project for the Katherine Street Neighborhood Improvement Project. According to the terms of the grant, the City will provide matching funds, and the project will cover sewer, water, drainage and street improvements in the Katherine Street area.
- A $350,000 Land and Water Conservation Fund Grant (LWCF) from ADECA to implement the Nesmith Park Enhancement Project. According to Mayor Woody Jacobs, the project will create a splash pad at the site, as well as a playground and game fields.
The council gave a first reading to two ordinances that would change water and wastewater installation and repair rates in the city system. The proposed Water Department fees are as follows:
- a) Reconnection Fee $ 35
- b) Reconnection Fees (After Hours) $ 60
- c) Lock Replacement Fee $ 75
- d) Replace Check Valve $ 100
- e) Replace Curb Stop $ 150
- f) Locate Service Line $ 500
- g) Raise or Lower Meter $ 500
- h) Unauthorized Water Use $ 500 plus cost of repair materials
- i) Damaged Service $ 500 plus cost of repair materials
- j) 3/4” Meter Installation with Box and Lid $ 800
- k) 1” Meter Installation with Box and Lid $ 1,000
- l) 2” Vault Installation $ 2,500 minimum
- m) 2” Meter Installation $ 3,500 minimum
- n) Fire Taps Fees will be determined on a case by case basis.
The other ordinance receiving its first reading would establish new fees for wastewater connections and other services, as follows:
- a) Cleanout Cap Repair $ 30
- b) Repair Manhole Ring and Lid $ 500
- c) Unauthorized Sewer Use $ 500 plus cost of repair materials
- d) Damaged Service $ 500 plus cost of repair materials
- e) 2” Pressure Tap $ 720
- f) 4” Sewer Tap $ 720
- g) 4” Pressure Tap $ 720
- h) 6” Sewer Tap $ 3,250
- i) 6” Pressure Tap $ 3,250
- j) 8” Sewer Tap $ 5,520
- k) 8” Pressure Tap $ 5,520
- l) 4” Relocate Sewer Service $ 1,440
- m) 6” Relocate Sewer Service $ 6,500
- n) 8” Relocate Sewer Service $ 11,040
The council voted to enter into or renew community service contracts with multiple area agencies, including:
- Cullman Area Chamber of Commerce
- Cullman County Health Department
- Cullman 310 Authority (CCCDD)
- Cullman Area Mental Health (Wellstone, Inc.)
- Victim Services of Cullman, Inc.
- Cullman Caring for Kids
- United Way of Cullman County
- Cullman County Commission on Aging
- Good Samaritan Health Clinic
- Cullman County Public Library
- Elks Veterans Day Committee
- Cullman County Emergency Management Agency
- Cullman Soil and Water
- Brooks’ Place Child Advocacy Center of Cullman
- Cullman Agriplex
- Cullman County Extension Service
- Cullman Farmers Market Steering Committee
- Hope Horses, Inc.
- The Link of Cullman County
- Cullman Downtown Merchants Association
- Cullman County Historical Society
- Cullman Community Band, Inc.
- Pilot Club of Cullman
- American Legion Post #4 of Cullman
- First Source for Women of Cullman County
- The Liberty Learning Foundation of Alabama
- Grace Place on Cullman
- Cullman Regional
Copyright 2019 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.