West Point manhandles Springville, comes out on top 42-10

Heith Yearwood on Twitter

WEST POINT – The West Point Warriors hosted the Springville Tigers tonight and both very physical teams showed their tenacity early on.

Springville messed up on their first play, fumbling at their own 27-yard line, and the Warriors took full advantage and scored early, putting 7 on the board after some great up-front blocking from the offensive line gave Cameron Moore his first touchdown of the evening. Moore definitely wasn't done there, as he stacked up 124 total yards just in the first half, 98 of those just from rushing with three touchdowns in the first half of play.

When asked about the spectacular show of offense Moore simply gave all the glory to God and his offensive line.

With nine seconds left in the first quarter Alex Hernandez, who also had a noticeable night with 62 yards rushing in the first half, was able to find the end zone and up the lead for the Warriors 14-0.

The second quarter began with Springville starting their drive at their own 44-yard line and marching 56 yards down the field with help from their quarterback Hunter Richardson and star receiver Jordan Byrd, scoring in about three minutes of possession with a 30-yard pass, keeping it close 14-7.

With the score still within reach the Warriors decided to step it up a notch and put their own running backs in a position that would shut down Springville’s morale.        

On the Warriors’ next possession, they started at their own 34-yard line and inched closer and closer with runs from both Moore and Hernandez, who plowed over defenders on their way back down the field to allow Moore his second touchdown on the night.

The score now 21-7 in favor of the Warriors, Springville attempted to make it to the opponent's end zone but instead had to punt the ball away. Unfortunately for the Warriors, their quarterback Kolten Easterwood made his only gaffe of the game throwing an interception.

As Springville tried capitalizing on such good field position at the Warriors’ 33-yard line, but unbelievably threw the ball to the wrong team and it was re-intercepted by Warrior Dalton Freeman, who had an astounding three interceptions in the game.

The Warriors then used a combination of running and passing until finally handing the ball back to Moore who scored his third touchdown and gave the Warriors a lead of 28-7 with 31 seconds remaining in the first half.              

Lots of confusion on the field left the Springville offense with barely enough time to get a last play off, but once again Richardson passed it to the Warriors’ defensive back Freeman, ending the half on an interception.              

As the third quarter ensued Springville was only able to get within field goal range, scoring their last points and making the score 28-10.

With another touchdown from Hernandez with five minutes remaining in the third, the Warriors were adding to an already big lead of 35-10.              

West Point never let up and capitalized once again in the fourth quarter with Moore’s final touchdown of the evening, making the final score 42-10 on the boards and leading West Point to their first regional win this season.              

The Warriors ended with around 454 total yardage on offense. Moore had 220 of those yards and 170 of them came from rushing, with a total of four touchdowns.              

Hernandez had 121 total yards, all from rushing, with two touchdowns.              

Easterwood ended the night 7-9 passing with 82 passing yards and 31 rushing.              

West Point will travel next week to take on Corner.


Copyright 2016 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.