Varsity Teams Shine on Tuesday


HANCEVILLE – The West Point Lady Warriors found the basket first, a three-point bucket by Jeri Beasley, but after the Cold Springs Lady Eagles answered with a three of their own from Bailey West, both teams were off to the races. Each squad traded three-point baskets and points in the paint. After the dust settled from the shootout, West Point held a slim 15-13 advantage.

The action continued at a furious pace in the second with Cold Springs grabbing their first lead of the game midway through the quarter thanks to an Emmy Willougby steal and fast break lay-up. The easy basket sparked a 7-0 from Cold Springs. The Lady Warriors' two-minute scoring drought was eventually broken by Tess Hembree with two tough points in the paint, but the damage was already done. The Lady Eagles flipped the tables and took a 27-22 lead to the half.

Both teams shot extremely well in the third quarter but it was West Point who was able to squeak out an advantage, taking the lead back from Cold Springs, 35-34, setting up a thrilling conclusion to a well-played game.

As had been the case throughout the previous three quarters, the action was back and forth in the last frame. However, it was the last Eagles of Cold Springs who were able to put just enough distance between themselves and West Point to earn the victory 50-41 and set up a clash with Holly Pond on Thursday at 7:30 p.m.


The West Point Warriors started the game with a whirlwind of offense, going on an 11-0 run that held Good Hope scoreless for the first five minutes of the contest. Although it took them a bit to get going, the Raiders weathered the storm and scored 11 of the last 14 points in the first to pull to within three points of West Point after one.

It was Good Hope's turn to crank up the heat in the second quarter. With a late flurry of offense, the Raiders were able to snatch the lead from West Point and go to the locker room at the half up 20-19.

After three lead changes to start the third quarter, Good Hope slowed the pace of the game down a bit and methodically moved the ball around the perimeter, content to take a three-point lead to the final eight minutes of play.

The last eight minutes proved just as eventful as the first 24 as the score, and the action, wavered back and forth the entire quarter. However, it was West Point's 10-0 run in the last two minutes of the game to seal the deal for the Warriors 45-34. They will play again Friday at 7:30 p.m. against the winner of Vinemont and Hanceville.