PREP FOOTBALL: 4 Ellis TDs help lift Aggies past Danville, 34-6

Gary McGriff for The Cullman Tribune

Fairview’s Tyvn Ellis (20) carries the ball on a rain-soaked Thursday night in Danville. Ellis had four touchdowns in the game. (Gary McGriff for The Cullman Tribune)

DANVILLE – On a cold and dreary Thursday night, the Fairview Aggies traveled to Danville’s Smith-Owens Stadium to take on the Hawks. In a non-stop rain, Coach George Redding’s Aggies were looking to position themselves for a .500 season by defeating Coach Shannon McGregory’s Hawks, and they did, bringing home the 34-6 victory.

The Aggies converted an onside opening kickoff by recovering the ball at the Danville 49-yard line. Quarterback Dayne Black opened the drive with a 28-yard run and four plays later, Tyvn Ellis capped off the opening drive with a 1-yard touchdown run. Alex Medina converted the PAT to give Fairview the 7-0 lead at the 10:18 mark of the first quarter.

Danville took over on its own 21 following the Fairview kickoff looking to even the score. Aided by a 44-yard run from Cameron Moore and a horse collar tackle penalty against Fairview, Danville capped off an 11-play drive when quarterback Brycen Templeton scored on a 5-yard run. After the failed PAT, Danville cut Fairview’s lead to 7-6 at the 4:27 mark of the first.

The Aggies returned the ensuing kickoff up to their own 45-yard line. On the first play of the drive, Ellis scored on a 55-yard run. Missing the PAT, the Aggies quickly extended their lead to 13-6.

On Danville’s next possession, the Hawks attempted to convert a fourth down from their own 34-yard line. Fairview stopped Danville short and took over with 1:52 left in the opening quarter.

After exchanging punts, Fairview attempted their own fourth-down conversion in Danville’s territory but came up short and turned the ball over to the Hawks. On the third play, Templeton was sacked, fumbling the ball to the Aggies, who recovered the ball on the Hawk’s 24-yard line.

On the second play, Ellis completed the first-half hat trick by scoring another touchdown on a 10-yard run. After failing to convert the PAT, the score with 4:38 left in the half was 19-6 Fairview.

Danville recovered Fairview’s second onside kick attempt on its 45-yard line and on the second play of the drive, Tsyne Coker ran deep into Fairview territory on a 48-yard play. Two plays later, Danville’s drive was ended when Moore fumbled, and Fairview recovered on its own 2-yard line.

On the very next play, Black broke off a 98-yard run, scoring with 2:26 left in the first half to make the score 27-6 after a successful 2-point conversion.

The weather continued to influence both teams, the Hawks and Aggies both fumbling on their subsequent possessions. Neither team could capitalize on the turnovers and the half ended with Fairview leading 27-6.

The second half didn’t start much different as both teams threw interceptions. Fairview’s interception came on its only pass attempt of the game. Danville drove deep into Fairview territory where the Aggies intercepted Templeton’s pass in the end zone.

Starting on its own 20-yard line, Fairview capped off the scoring on a seven-play drive that ended when Ellis scored his fourth touchdown of the game on a 6-yard run. With 1:23 left in the third quarter Fairview extended its lead to 34-6.

The fourth quarter was a mixture of both teams almost losing fumbles and Danville failing again on a fourth-down attempt. The contest ended with the same score: 34-6, Fairview.

Black led all rushers with 155 yards, followed closely by Ellis gaining 146 yards to go with his four touchdowns. Fairview’s only pass attempt was intercepted. However, the Aggies finished the game gaining 346 yards on the ground.

Fairview’s defense held Danville to only one pass completion for 5 yards to go with only 160 yards rushing.

Danville completed its season without a victory. Fairview improved to 4-5 for the season and will host neighbor (5-3) Holly Pond next week attempting to get that .500 record.

Copyright 2018 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.