Chairman Ronnie Barnes of the Cullman County High School Athletic Association talks particulars of the upcoming county tournament.
HANCEVILLE – Going undefeated through the six-game format has placed the Cold Springs Lady Eagles and the Holly Pond Broncos as the top seeds in this year's Cullman County High School Basketball Tournament.
Pairings were drawn Wednesday afternoon at the Cullman County Board of Education office with the festivities handled by Chairman Ronnie Barnes of the Cullman County High School Athletic Association.
The event will take place Jan. 21-28 at Wallace State's Tom Drake Coliseum. This marks the 25th anniversary of the county tournament being played at the neutral site, after it was rotated from one school to another between 1949 and 1992.
This is the 68th year the county will crown a varsity champion and the 41st year for the best in varsity girls when the tournament comes to an end on the final Saturday in January.
Cold Springs girls and Holly Pond were 6-0 against the competition to grab the top seeds and automatic berths to the semifinals.
The No. 1 seed in the freshmen is West Point, Cold Springs is atop the seeding in JV girls and Good Hope won a coin toss over West Point and Holly Pond to get the No. 1 seed in JV boys.
Here is the daily schedule of the 2017 Cullman County Basketball Tournament at Wallace State's Tom Drake Coliseum:
Saturday, Jan. 21
- West Point vs. Good Hope JV Girls 1 p.m.
- Fairview vs. Vinemont JV 2:15 p.m.
- Holly Pond vs. Hanceville JV Girls 3:30 p.m.
- Holly Pond vs. Hanceville JV 4:45 p.m.
- Fairview vs. Vinemont JV Girls 6 p.m.
- West Point vs. Cold Springs JV 7:15 p.m.
Monday, Jan. 23
- Good Hope vs. Fairview/Vinemont JV Boys 5 p.m.
- Fairview vs. Vinemont Girls 6:15 p.m.
- West Point vs. Good Hope Varsity 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 24
- Holly Pond/Hanceville vs. West Point/Cold Springs JV 5 p.m.
- West Point vs. Good Hope Girls 6:15 p.m.
- Fairview vs. Hanceville Varsity 7:30 p.m.
Wednesday, Jan. 25
- West Point vs. Vinemont Freshmen 4 p.m.
- Fairview vs. Good Hope Freshmen 5 p.m.
- Hanceville vs. Holly Pond Girls 6:15 p.m.
- Cold Springs vs. Vinemont Varsity 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, Jan. 26
- Cold Springs vs. West Point/Good Hope JV Girls 5 p.m.
- Cold Springs vs. Hanceville/Holly Pond Girls 6:15 p.m.
- Fairview/Vinemont vs. West Point/Good Hope Girls 7:30 p.m.
Friday, Jan. 27
- Fairview/Vinemont vs. Holly Pond/Hanceville JV Girls 5 p.m.
- Holly Pond vs. West Point/Good Hope Varsity 6:15 p.m.
- Fairview/Hanceville vs. Cold Springs/Vinemont Varsity 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 28
- Freshmen final 1 p.m.
- JV Girls final 2:30 p.m.
- JV final 4 p.m.
- Girls final 5:30 p.m.
- Varsity final 7 p.m.
All-Tournament teams will be announced at the conclusion of each championship game. All-County girls and varsity will be announced during the post-game ceremony.
The Bill Shelton Award and Charlotte Cummings Memorial Scholarship Award will be announced at the conclusion of the varsity girls title game.
The Joe Shults Award and the Eli Thomas Memorial Scholarship Award will be announced at the conclusion of the varsity championship.
The 2016 Cullman County Coaches All-County football team will be announced at halftime of the 6:15 p.m. girls semifinal on Jan. 26.
Admission to the tournament will be $5 daily.
Copyright 2017 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.