CULLMAN – On Saturday, April 30, starting at 6 p.m., the Busy Bee Café will hold what has become an annual celebration of its reopening back in 2012 after being destroyed by the tornadoes of April 2011.
For the fourth annual event, the local dive will start the evening off with a burger-eating contest.
“We celebrate the reopening every year,” said owner Kyle Spears. “We usually have a food or a drink special. This year we’re having the burger-eating contest and live music.”
To register for the burger-eating contest, with prizes yet to be announced, just visit the restaurant. The final day to register is Friday, April 29.
The Busy Bee Café was demolished in 2011 after suffering damage that made the Cullman classic unrepairable. Since the café was originally opened back in 1919, Spears says that the centennial celebration is on the horizon.
“We have some idea of what we want to do,” he said. “Nothing truly planned yet.”
After the burger-eating contest at 6 p.m. on Saturday night, the café will play host to live music from Huntsville-based blues outfit Tres Locos, who are scheduled to start up around 7 p.m.
When asked why have an annual celebration instead of an intervallic celebration each five years or so, Spears said, “We do a celebration every year, well, because we want to.”
- $15 entry fee – Reservations are required to enter and you must pay up front in cash before the contest.
- 16-person max
- 1-hour time limit to eat
- $100 cash prize to first place winner
- All burgers are the same- a plain hamburger.
- Winner must beat the current record of 11 burgers held by Brandon Cogle.
- Contest winner will get their picture taken and put up on the wall.
- If you vomit, pass out or leave the dining room for any reason, you will be disqualified.
- If you back out, you will not receive a refund.
- If less than 10 people enter we will call off the eating contest and all people who registered will receive a refund.
The Busy Bee Café is located at 101 Fifth St. SE in Cullman. Find them on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Busy-Bee-Cafe-150398638310245/.