Mirroring History: From the Palace Saloon to Luyben & Boike

By:
0
2120
Contributed by Cullman County Museum

CULLMAN – In 1900, the Palace Saloon once stood on the corner of what is now Highway 278 and 1st Avenue.

Eventually the Palace was demolished and a one-story building was built in this location and became Hugh Brindley’s Grocery Store.

Mr. Brindley later moved the grocery store to a new location with better parking, which is now home to the Cullman Power Board.

After serving as Hugh Brindley’s grocery store, the corner was occupied by Skipper and Eidson, a fine men’s clothing store.

Unfortunately, the building caught fire and destroyed the business sometimes in the mid to late ‘70s. Today it serves as an empty lot for Luyben & Boike.