CULLMAN, Ala. – The Cullman City Council on Monday night recognized the East Elementary School Archery Team, who took the state title in the Elementary Division at the 2023 National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP) Alabama State Championship in Montgomery April 6-7. The team was undefeated this year all the way through state.
Cullman Parks, Recreation & Sports Tourism Executive Director Nathan Anderson shared reports from the Cullman Strawberry Festival, which took place May 6. According to Anderson, more than 27,000 people attended.
“We found that about half of our attendees leave our festival site and go see the rest of our city. We have reports from local restaurants that had lines out the door,” Anderson said. “It was a big day. I cannot say enough about the team that I have. Many of these guys put in an exhausting amount of hours to produce this festival and they did an incredible job.”
Anderson said more than 40 local businesses were represented inside the festival footprint and farmers sold out of strawberries by 3 p.m.
There have been complaints from the public about not enough local food vendors being represented at the festival. Anderson addressed that, saying, “I hope we’re going to bring them back, and we are in discussions to bring locals back, because we want as many local businesses represented as possible.”
Mayor Woody Jacobs reported that repairs to Warnke Road have been completed and the Second Avenue Northeast Streetscape project near city hall continues.
The following were approved:
- A special event request from Trey Lowry of Pearl Skate Supply for a grand opening skate event on First Avenue Northeast on Saturday, May 13, from 5-9 p.m.
- A special event request from Waid Harbison of United Way of Cullman County for a Community Health Fair at Festhalle on Saturday, June 3, from 10 a.m.-2p.m.
- A special event request from Paige Clabo of the Cullman Area Chamber of Commerce for 2nd Fridays events June 9, July 14 and Aug. 11, from 5:30 p.m.-10 p.m.
- A special event request from Michael Pugh for Rock the South at 1872 County Road 469 July 20-22
The following resolutions and ordinances were approved:
- Resolution No. 2023-41 to accept the streetlights on Wall Street Northeast, which is a part of the public street system
- Resolution No. 2023-42 to award the bid for Industrial Park V Improvements to the lowest responsible bidder, Manning Construction, LLC.
- First Reading of Ordinance No. 2023-22 to annex 447 County Road 1466 as R-1 District, which received a favorable recommendation from the Planning Commission
- First Reading of Ordinance No. 2023-23 to annex 332 County Road 1467 as R-1 District, which received a favorable recommendation from the Planning Commission
- First Reading of Ordinance No. 2023-24 to annex two properties on County Road 700 as R-1 District, which received a favorable recommendation from the Planning Commission
Copyright 2023 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.