CULLMAN, Ala. – The Cullman County Sheriff’s Office (CCSO) shared several safety tips for residents to remember this holiday season.
Around the home
- Keep your doors and windows locked at all times.
- If you are leaving for an extended period of time, have neighbors or family members check on your residence and pick up your mail.
- Leave a radio or television on to give the appearance that someone is home.
- Large displays of holiday gifts should not be visible through the windows and doors of your home.
- Be aware that criminals sometime pose as couriers delivering packages or gifts.
- Never open the door if you are uncertain about who they are and do not hesitate to call law enforcement if issues arise.
- Be skeptical of door-to-door solicitors. Criminals will take advantage of people’s generosity during the holiday season.
- Keep your doors and windows locked, whether you are inside or out of your vehicle.
- If you must shop at night, remember where you park, and park in a well-lit area.
- Pay attention to vehicles you park next to; avoid vans, camper shells or vehicles with dark-tinted windows if possible.
- Park as close as possible to your destination, especially at night or if you are alone.
- Never leave your vehicle running while unoccupied (or with children inside).
- Do not leave valuables in plain sight.
- Have your keys readily available as you approach your car.
- Always be aware of your surroundings, especially as you are approaching your vehicle.
- Do not approach your vehicle if there are suspicious people loitering around the area.
- Ask security or store personnel to escort you to your vehicle if you are apprehensive.
For questions or to report an incident, contact your local law enforcement agency.
- Cullman County Sheriff’s Office: 256-734-0342
- Cullman Police Department: 256-734-1434
- Hanceville Police Department: 256-352-9811
- Emergencies: 911