VINEMONT, Ala. – The Vinemont Town Council on Tuesday night saw its newest council member, Charlotte Cosper, sworn in when Cullman County Probate Judge Tammy Brown administered Cosper’s oath of office. Cosper was appointed last Thursday night in a special-called meeting to fill the seat left vacant when J.D. Marcum died in November. She fills place 3.
“I believe we have a great group on the council, and I look forward to working with the three new (members),” Mayor Reginald Dodson said. Councilman Chris Thompson and Councilwoman Sonya Copeland began their terms in the fall after being elected in August.
After the quick swearing in, the council immediately went into the business of the Town. Before swiftly moving through old business, the council first had to decide whether to suspend the rules for immediate consideration of a new ordinance to establish new procedural rules- or to read through the ordinance then suspend the vote until February.
Following a brief discussion and clarification by Town Clerk Kayecea Sasser as to the particulars of the ordinance, the council voted unanimously to suspend the rules and to adopt the new ordinance Tuesday night.
“The council repealed Resolution 2020-11-06 to adopt Ordinance No. 2021-01-01 that better outlines the guidelines, rules and procedures moving forward,” Sasser said.
In other business, the council:
- Approved payment of the Municipal Workers Compensation Bill. Two payments of $2,183 are scheduled to be paid Jan. 1 and Feb. 1, 2021
- Approved Resolution 2021-01-02 authoring Dodson to sign a franchise agreement with Sprout Fiber Internet
- Approved Resolution 2021-01-03 authoring Dodson to sign a reciprocal agreement with the State of Alabama Department of Revenue
- Approved a LifeSouth Community Blood Drive event to be held Saturday, Jan. 30, 2021 from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at Vinemont Town Hall
- Authorized Sasser to attend Municipal Clerks Spring Institute in Montgomery between Feb. 24-26
Look in future editions of The Tribune for more in-depth stories from Tuesday night’s meeting.
Copyright 2021 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.