CULLMAN, Ala. – The City of Cullman will soon be changing the way it services residential garbage. Beginning Nov. 9, 2020, all residents and commercial hand stops will be serviced using our new automated side loader trucks with mechanical arms.
Each customer will receive one (1) 96-gallon cart. The City-selected contractor will begin delivering the carts to customers Oct. 19, 2020. The contractor’s process for this will be to start delivering along Monday’s route first. Then they will move to Tuesday’s route, Wednesday’s route and Thursday’s route in order to complete the delivery process as the routes are to be run.
Every household will receive one cart at the monthly rate of $16 (The $16 per month is the current sanitation charge. It’s not changing. It is the same price, but a new service.). If an additional cart is needed, customers can call the Sanitation office at 256-737-7560 to request an additional cart for an additional charge of $8 per month per cart. (Charges listed are current as of the date of this article.)
Commercial hand stop customers will also initially receive one (1) 96-gallon cart at the rate of $60 per month. If needed, commercial hand stop customers can request one (1) additional 96-gallon cart for no additional charge. (Charges listed are current as of the date of the date of this article.)
NEW SERVICE GUIDELINES
- Place carts no further than three (3) feet off the roadway.
- There are arrows on the front of the cart. The arrows should be pointing toward the street.
- Cart should be placed on the opposite linear/horizontal side of your mailbox, if possible. (For example, if you stand facing your driveway and your mailbox is on the left-hand side, then your cart will need to be on the right-hand side of your driveway.)
- Place the cart at least four (4) feet from poles, fire hydrants, or any other obstacles and at least ten (10) feet away from vehicles.
- Please do not place cart on the other side of a ditch as the automated arm will not reach that far.
- All garbage must be inside the City of Cullman Sanitation garbage cart, and all garbage must be bagged. Any garbage not placed in a City of Cullman Sanitation garbage cart WILL NOT BE COLLECTED. Old trash cans may not be used as they are not designed to withstand the force of the mechanical gripper on the truck.
- DO NOT put yard debris, rocks, dirt, building and construction debris, hot or flammable items, hazardous materials, or chemicals in your cart. (The City of Cullman offers a large item pickup for an additional fee. Please call Sanitation to schedule this service.)
- Please have your cart out by 5:00 a.m. on the day of service. Garbage not out by this time will not be picked up until the following week.
- If you are moving, please call Sanitation to pick up the cart. If the cart is missing, an additional $60.00 fee will be added to your final bill for the cost of the container.
- Every cart has a serial number assigned to the address to which it is delivered. It is a criminal offense to remove a City of Cullman cart without permission from the City of Cullman Sanitation Department.
- Service days WILL NOT CHANGE. If you are unsure what day your garbage is picked up, refer to the sanitation quadrants map (available on the website – cullmanal.gov/depts/sanitation) or contact the Sanitation Department.
It is the intent of the City of Cullman to implement the automated cart system to provide a safer work environment for our employees as well as to provide an environmentally safer pickup for household garbage. This system has been proven environmentally safe for employees and households.
The City of Cullman appreciates your patience during this transition. If you need assistance, please feel free to contact the Cullman Sanitation Department at 256-737-7560 or email email@example.com.
You may also visit the Sanitation/Recycling Department’s page on the City of Cullman website at www.cullmanal.gov/depts./sanitation. The sanitation quadrants map and the new service guidelines are available for download from that page.