CULLMAN, Ala. – The annual Smith Lake Park 4th of July Fireworks & Music Festival has been canceled due to COVID-19. Cullman County Parks and Recreation Director Doug Davenport at Tuesday morning’s meeting of the Cullman County Commission said the event will not take place because of restrictions still in place to protect the community from the spread of the coronavirus.
“We’ve gotta have a plan of action from the State for this COVID-19 for keeping different families 6 feet apart,” he said. “I don’t know how to do that unless we say you have to stay in your vehicle.”
Davenport also said there is no guarantee that the fireworks company, Pyro Shows, would be able to obtain a permit from the State after review of a plan.
“Like everything else, it’s new water,” he said.
The issue of the deposit already paid to Pyro Shows was also considered in the decision. The County was able to negotiate with Pyro Shows to allow this year’s deposit to be transferred to the 2021 fireworks show.
Some good news from the parks and rec department is the reopening of cabins and pavilions. The train at Sportsman Lake Park will also begin running again and the monthly night rides at Stony Lonesome OHV Park will resume.
In other business, a cut-off date of June 12 has been set for removal of vegetation for those in the area affected by the April 12 tornadoes.
The following items were also approved by the commission:
- Changed voting precinct 2-2 Dodge City Town Hall to Dodge City Community Center
- Passed Resolution 2020-25 revisions to the CARTS Zero Tolerance Policy
- Set public hearing for vacating a portion of Cullman County Road 2101 for Tuesday, June 23, 2020
- Authorized Chairman Kenneth Walker to sign an agreement on behalf of the county commission with the Cullman County Sheriff’s Office for federal inmate housing
- Purchase of a 10-foot rotary cutter from Coblentz Equipment in the amount of $11,000
- Offer to purchase by Keith Maze of county property located at 2506 U.S. Highway 231 S, Arab, AL 35016. Authorized Walker to sign sales agreement on behalf of the Cullman County Commission, as well as to sign all documents related to the sale and transfer of the property.
- Authorized Walker to execute a contract on behalf of the Cullman County Commission with Goodwyn, Mills and Cawood, Inc. for taxiway connector relocation at Cullman Regional Airport
- Purchase of a 2020 F150 for reappraisal from the NACP bid list in the amount of $26,071
- Authorized Walker to sign the supplemental agreement between the State of Alabama, acting through ALDOT, and Cullman County Commission for County Road 747 resurfacing project
- Surplus of a 2002 Sun Tracker pontoon boat with motor and trailer from the sheriff’s office to be sold on GovDeals.
- Bid no.1307 for extension on corrugated metal pipe to Fallin Farms d/b/a Harvey Culvert
- Bid no. 1325 for concrete to Ready Mix USA.
The next Cullman County Commission will be Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 10 a.m. in the commission meeting room.
Copyright 2020 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.