CULLMAN, Ala. – Cullman County Board of Education (CCBOE) on Monday evening approved its budget for fiscal year 2020 in the amount of $103,065,916.39. The budget was built on an anticipated $103,757,419.96 in revenues, and is expected to raise the system’s ending fund balance next Sept. 30 to $21,002,858.01, a $1.9 million increase over its starting fund balance of $19,101,993.86.
The numbers represent a slight increase over the initial presentation of the budget at its first hearing last month (https://www.cullmantribune.com/2019/08/21/cullman-county-board-of-education-reveals-102m-proposed-fy2020-budget/). According to system Chief School Financial Officer Ed Roberson, the increases came in federally-funded programs.
According to Roberson, the highlights of the new budget include:
- New home economics building addition for Holly Pond
- Replacement of window air conditioners in multiple schools
- Installation of air conditioning units in school gyms
- Repaving at multiple campuses
- Security improvements including fencing, entry systems and camera systems
- Completion of the Child Development Center playground
Instructional and instructional support account for 80% of the new budget, including slightly more than $50 million for salaries.
Superintendent’s contract extended
The board also voted to extend Superintendent Dr. Shane Barnette’s contract for two years, through the 2021 school year.
Community meetings announced
Barnette announced that the CCBOE will hold community meetings in the following locations. All meetings will take place at 6 p.m.
- Holly Pond HS lunchroom, Monday, Sept. 16
- Good Hope HS lunchroom, Thursday, Sept. 19
- Fairview HS auditorium, Monday, Sept. 23
- Hanceville HS gym, Thursday, Sept. 26
- West Point HS auditorium, Monday, Sept. 30
- Cold Springs HS gym, Tuesday, Oct. 1
- Vinemont HS lunchroom, Thursday, Oct. 3
The next regular meeting of the CCBOE will be Thursday, Oct. 10, work session at 5:30 p.m., meeting following immediately. The public is invited to attend.
Copyright 2019 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.