Cold Springs FCCLA State STAR Event Gold and Silver winners with Cullman County School Board Superintendent Shane Barnette (W.C. Mann for The Tribune)
GOOD HOPE – On Thursday evening, the Cullman County School Board continued its program of school outreach by holding its regular meeting at Good Hope High School. Much of the meeting was devoted to recognizing numerous personal and team achievements by system students, including:
Good Hope High School Weightlifting Team
The Good Hope High School boys’ and girls’ teams both won state championships, and brought back individual awards
- Bailey Swann- 2nd place and set Power Clean state record for her division
- Kate Kent-2nd Place
- Taylor McClure-2nd Place
- Destiny Jones- 3rd Place
- Emma Brock-3rd Place
- Alee Jackson-4th Place
- Bella Davis-4th Place
- Kristen Hart-5th Place
- Trevor Pace- 1st Place State Champion
- Matthew Schwaiger- 1st Place State Champion
- Austin Cordes- 1st Place State Champion
- Hudson Leverett- 2nd Place
- Cameron Twilley-3rd Place
- Justin Rasco-4th Place
- Andres Aguilar- 4th place
Good Hope High School Fishing Team
Chase Taylor and Colton Williams placed fifth in the Mossy Oak Bassmaster High School Southern Open.
County Science Fair winners
- Kayley Lindsey, GHHS – won $2,500 Wallace State Leadership Scholarship fall 2018, spring 2019
- Skylar Tucker, GHHS – won Wallace State Dual Enrollment Scholarship for course, fall 2018
- James McWhorter, GHHS – won $400 Wallace State Summer Honors Scholarship
- Chrissi Smith, GHHS – overall high school project winner, and $500 Science Fair Scholarship
- Aubrey Harris, Parkside – overall middle school project winner
- Silas Reynolds, Welti – overall elementary project winner
- Tripp Dingler, West Point ES – overall poster winner
Cold Springs FCCLA State Winners, STAR Events
- Samantha Wilcutt, Gold, Life Event Planning
- Kylie Gann, Gold, Career Investigation
- Matthew Blair and Raegan Lindsey, Gold, Illustrated Talk
- Jessica Roden, Gold, Leadership
- Tess Strawbridge, Silver, Interpersonal Communication
- Mallory Ballenger, Silver, Focus on Children
- Maddie Mitchell, Silver, Career Investigation Junior
Samantha Wilcutt and Kylie Gann will represent the state of Alabama at the FCCLA National Meeting this summer in Atlanta.
During his report, Superintendent Shane Barnette also congratulated:
- West Point High School softball team for winning the county championship
- Good Hope High School scholars’ bowl team for winning the 4A state championship
- All county teams that will compete in the National NASP archery tournament in Louisville, Kentucky in May
West Point board representative Gene Sullins added to that list the West Point High School baseball team that qualified for the state playoffs in Birmingham this weekend.
Barnette also recognized Parkside School for achieving Blue Ribbon School status.
Other board business
The board approved several personnel changes but did not announce the names of any affected people at the time of the meeting.
Financial Officer Ed Roberson distributed copies of the February system budget statement, showing that the system has $13,945,900.92 in its general fund, equal to a 67-day reserve fund balance.
The board approved a request to offer Summer School/Credit Recovery core courses at Hanceville High School in June, at $150 per semester credit or $200 for out of district students.
The following out-of-state field trip requests were approved:
- Good Hope High School to Chicago for the National Scholars Bowl Tournament April 26
- West Point Middle School, Vinemont Elementary School, Vinemont Middle School, Welti Elementary School, Good Hope High School, West Point High School to Louisville, Kentucky for the NASP National Archery Tournament in May
The board also approved an overnight trip for West Point Intermediate to visit the McWane Center in Birmingham, May 11-12.
The Cullman County Board of Education will hold its next meeting at 6 p.m. on May 21 at Fairview High School, with work session at 5:30. The public is invited to attend.
Copyright 2018 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.