Maurice’s, shown here on Monday, March 26, will not re-open. / Nick Griffin
CULLMAN – Several local businesses remain closed on the south end of Cullman after last week’s hail storm caused severe damage to roofs, and in some cases, inventory. Most in the storm’s path are still closed, including many in the Marktplatz shopping center; the AMC Marktplatz theater has re-opened.
Jason Grimmett, vice president of Drinkard Development, Inc., the company that owns the Marktplatz center, said Monday that work has been done to prevent further water damage to the properties, but most still require still require a lot of repairs before they’ll be able to open again.
“We’ve got major damage on the front side, some of the canopies have come off and will need to be replaced, the air conditioning has been damaged, so it’s been hit. From when it first happened to today, I think we’ve made a lot of real good progress. Everything is dried in now, we have a temporary roof so if it does rain we’re going to stay dry, but still some of the shops have not completely got the water out of them yet so those efforts are ongoing,” Grimmett said. “We expect to be able to do a complete assessment mid-week of this week on what has to happen to the interior of the spaces. Some, of course, are worse than others; hopefully some of the shops can reopen in a couple of weeks, and some of them it may take quite a while. Every day we’re getting a little bit closer to having those times identified.”
As of Monday evening, the following stores remain closed in the Marktplatz and surrounding shopping centers, according to Susan Eller with the Cullman Economic Development Agency:
- ALDI– plans to be open first of April
- Five Guys
- Papa Murphy’s Pizza
- ATI Physical Therapy
- Kay Jewelers
- Bedzzz Express
- T.J. Maxx – closed one to two months
- Shoe Show
- Dollar Tree
- Sally’s Beauty Supply
- Lendmark Financial Services
- Super Cuts
- Nail Spa
- Anytime Fitness- Anytime Fitness posted the following on its Facebook page: "We would like to extend a HUGE thank you to the Cullman Wellness and Aquatic Center for their generosity to our members in these challenging times. CWAC is so graciously allowing all of our current members to workout at their facility at no charge. Three simple steps are required to do so:1. Show them your drivers license.2. Show them your key fob.
3. Complete the sign in form at the front desk.
Finally, on your first visit, you must complete and sign a one-time waiver. We are so very blessed to live in a community that pulls together and supports one another during hardships. Stay in tune with us on both Facebook and Instagram for club updates. Thank you to our awesome members for your patience and understanding!"
- Great Clips
- Champion Sports Medicine- Champion Sports Medicine posted the following on its Facebook page: "The CSM Cullman clinic is operating at a temporary location due to the damage from the recent storm. The address is 1728 2nd Ave. SW, Cullman, AL 35055. Please direct all questions and calls to 844.554.5678. Thank you."
- Palm Beach Tan
- Golden Corral – Plans to open on Thursday, March 29; Entire roof and all HVAC had to be replaced
- Maurices – permanent closure
Eller said, “Stores with employees out for at least a week can file for unemployment benefits.”
Copyright 2018 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.