BREMEN – In what has become one of the top events in the cross-country season, the Kudzu Invitational took place Saturday at Cold Springs High School.
Local high schools competing included Saint Bernard, Hanceville, Cold Springs, Holly Pond (1A-3A) and Fairview (4A-7A).
In the 1A- 3A boys’ 5,000-meter run, Cold Springs took home second place with an average time of 18:07. Saint Bernard placed eighth with an average time of 18:53. Holly Pond took home 13th place with an average time of 19:41 and Hanceville came in at 14th with an average time of 20:46.
In 1A-3A boys’, nine local runners placed in the top 25:
- 1st Andrew Sweeney- Saint Bernard- 16:16.12
- 11th Aaron Brown- Hanceville- 17:29.18
- 12th Jonah Collett- Cold Springs- 17:29.80
- 14th Caleb Guthery- Saint Bernard- 17:46.95
- 15th Trentan Williams- Cold Springs- 17:58.84
- 18th Seth Walker- Cold Springs- 18:14.09
- 20th Conner Lowery- Holly Pond- 18:18.27
- 21st Cole Akridge- Cold Springs- 18:18.76
- 22nd Joey McCarthy- Saint Bernard- 18:19.53
In the boys’ 4A-7A 5,000-meter run, Fairview came in sixth place with an average time of 18:40.00. The lone Fairview runner to place in the top 25 was Quinton Chambers, who took third place with a time of 17:13.27.
Saint Bernard's girls had an impressive showing in the girls’ 1A-3A 5,000-meter run. The Lady Saints took third place with an average time of 22:27. Holly Pond took ninth place with an average time of 24:26.
In 1A-3A girls’, five local runners placed in the top 25:
- 4th Leahrose Mami- Saint Bernard- 19:48.09
- 9th Ava Akridge- Cold Springs- 21:19.42
- 11th Abigail Kusz- Holly Pond- 21:24.99
- 19th Lizbeth Medina- Saint Bernard- 22:18.33
- 22nd- Alyssa Jackson- Cold Springs- 22:36.53
In the girls’ 4A-7A 5,000-meter run, Fairview came in seventh place with an average time of 24:22. The lone Fairview runner to place in the top 25 was Alex McDonald, who took third place with a time of 20:59.00.
Junior high teams competed from Fairview, Saint Bernard, Cullman, Good Hope, West Point and Hanceville.
Boys’ Junior High 2.1 Mile
Seven local runners placed in the top 25:
- 7th Peyton Bailey- Fairview- 12:34.38
- 9th Francis Mami- Saint Bernard- 12:45.75
- 11th Joseph Arriaga- Saint Bernard- 12:56.64 11
- 12th Nicholas Wood- Cullman- 12:57.40
- 21st Ben Kelly- Cullman- 13:33.43 19
- 22nd David De Jesus- Saint Bernard- 13:34.94 20
- 23rd Logan Self- Good Hope- 13:35.05 21
Saint Bernard took third with an average time of 13:21. Cullman took fifth with an average time of 13:51. In sixth was Good Hope at 14:39, followed by Fairview in eighth at 15:01, West Point in ninth at 15:45 and Hanceville in 12th at 16:26.
Girls’ Junior High 2.1 Mile
Two local runners placed in the top 25:
- 7th Bijou Phillips- Good Hope- 14:24.06 7
- 9th Carrington Chambers- Fairview- 14:57.21
Cullman took third with an average time of 16:57, followed by Fairview in fourth at 17:50, Good Hope in fifth at 18:29 and West Point in seventh at 18:50.
Copyright 2017 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.