CULLMAN – On Wednesday morning, the Cullman Elks Lodge will begin taking donations of needed items for flood victims in Texas. Items can be brought to the lodge at 1609 Brantley Ave. NW in Cullman.
R.E. Garrison Trucking has donated the use of a truck, trailer and driver to make the 9-plus hour drive to Beaumont, Texas. The Beaumont Elks Lodge is still on dry ground, and is open as a shelter for evacuated flood victims.
Donations will be accepted from 8 a.m. Wednesday until the truck is full. Elks representative Gwen Parker, who is coordinating the effort, said that the Elks hope to send the truck on its way by Friday.
- Cases of bottled water or gallon jugs of water
- Baby items: food, diapers, etc.
- Non-perishable snack foods: cereal bars, chips, etc.
- Gift cards and cash – Elks will use money to purchase more items on the way.
- Pet food – Elks shelter is one of the few accepting animals.
The Cullman Elks will purchase groceries on the way to Beaumont, and will begin cooking hamburgers and hot dogs when they arrive. They plan to serve food to people at the shelter until they have no more to cook.
For more information, please contact Gwen Parker at 256-347-1545.
Copyright 2017 Humble Roots, LlC. All Rights Reserved.