CULLMAN, Ala. – The Cullman County Commission at its Nov. 14 meeting appointed Brian Monk to serve as a deputy coroner, at the request of Cullman County Coroner Jeremy Kilpatrick.
Kilpatrick addressed the commission, saying, “I had one of my deputy coroners resign earlier this year, due to moving out of the county. Brian (Monk) offered to help me, as he’s done in the past when I’ve been on calls. We just want to make it official.”
Commission Chairman Jeff Clemons said, “There isn’t a better person than Brian Monk to do that.”
Cullman County Economic Development Director Matthew Kinsland spoke regarding Resolution 2023-47. “This is the resolution to accept the grant award of $500,000 for the resurfacing of County Road 1490,” he explained to the commissioners.
The $500,000 Community Development Block Grant is to resurface and provide drainage improvements on 2.6 miles of Cullman County Road 1490 in the Gold Ridge community.
After the approval of the resolution, Commissioner Kerry Watson shared, “I’d like to thank Matt and his office for all the hard work they’ve done with this.”
In other business, the commission:
- Recognized Alecia Young’s retirement after 19 years with the Water Department
- Authorized Chairman to sign American Recovery Plan Act (ARPA) Drinking Water/Wastewater Project Agreement from ADEM
- Authorized Chairman to sign the annual premium for the Volunteer fire Workers’ Compensation insurance in the amount of $13,304
- Approved Commissioner Watson’s nominee, Ory Hampton, to the Department of Human Resources Board to replace T.J. Franey for a term to expire 5/15/26
- Approved the surplus of the following items from the Sheriff’s Office to be auctioned on GovDeals
- 2011 Chevrolet 1500 Silverado
- 2008 Ford F350 4X4
- 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
- 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Silverado
- Approved the surplus of a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Vin # 1J4GX38S52C151848) from the Sheriff’s Office to be destroyed per Court Order
- Approved the following items from the Road Department to be auctioned on GovDeals or by any means necessary
- Green tandem axle dump truck
- Approved the following items from Park and Recreation to be auctioned on GovDeals or by any means necessary
- 1995 Dodge Truck
- 2000 Chevrolet Silverado
- 2003 Chevy Z71 4-wheel drive
- 2005 Dutchman Camper
- 2009 12’x32’ mobile home
- 2000 GMC Sierra
- 2008 Ford Dump Truck
- Extended Bid # 1415: for emulsified asphalt to Ergon, Inc
- Extended Bid # 1416: for traffic signs to Traffic Signs and Vulcan Signs
- Extended Bid # 1417: for traffic stripping to J.C. Cheek Contractors, Inc
- Extended Bid # 1418: for corrugated plastic pipe to Bear Concrete Products, Inc.
- Extended Bid # 1434: for corrugated metal pipe to Twin Oaks Environmental
- Awarded Bid # 1451: for motor oil and hydraulic oil, transmission fluid, and grease to The McPherson Companies, Inc., and W.H. Thomas Oil Co. Inc., based on individual item cost
- Approved request to rescind bid extension for concrete and rebid
- Awarded Bid # 1452: for concrete to DCA
The next Cullman County Commission work session will be Tuesday, Dec. 12, 2023, at 4 p.m. in the commission meeting room. A meeting will follow at 6.
Copyright 2023 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.