CULLMAN, Ala. – The Cullman Strawberry Festival, one of the city’s oldest celebrations, returns tomorrow after a year of COVID shutdowns, with a promise of crafts, entertainment and, of course, strawberries! The Festhalle Farmers Market will open at 7 a.m. Saturday and, since selling out has been common in recent years, shoppers are encouraged to come early. Other activities will begin at 10 a.m. in Depot Park, around the Cullman County Museum and museum gazebo, and in the municipal parking lot between the museum and Festhalle.
Cullman Parks, Recreation and Sports Tourism (CPRST) Recreational Development Director Christy Turner said, “We’ll have the Miss Strawberry Festival pageant, the doggy paw-geant, live music, contests, shopping and a record number of strawberries available. Since the event lasts all day long, it will give people a chance to explore Cullman and our many local retail stores, restaurants and businesses to experience a bit of what makes Cullman such a great place to live and work.”
This year’s event features:
- The Miss Strawberry Festival Pageant will be held tonight from 6-10 p.m. and Saturday starting at 10 a.m. at the Desperation Church downtown campus across from Depot Park. Presentation of Miss Strawberry Festival will be at 12:30 p.m. on the main stage.
- Arts and crafts show in Depot Park and food vendors in the municipal parking lot next to the Festhalle all day.
- Historic Walking Tour starting at the Cullman County Museum at 10 a.m.
- Strawberry baking competition – Held on the main stage at 2:30 p.m. Saturday. On the event website, CPRST said, “Do you have a great strawberry recipe? This is the perfect competition for you! Recipes must be baked and brought to the Cullman Strawberry Festival Saturday, May 1, and a winner will be judged and announced on the main stage!” Awards will be given for cakes, cookies/bars and pies/cobblers. Register at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSftNrZpedRNOrdGnBJd3Qmmn2ozcVBTOEZn_UyCcNkJNE4LHg/viewform.
- “Doggy Paw-geant and After Pawty” – CPRST said, “Dress your dogs up in their best pageant-ware and bring them to the main stage of Strawberry Festival at 3 p.m. Saturday, May 1! Awards, such as Best Smile and Congeniality, will be presented and we’ll be having an After Paw-ty at the gazebo immediately after the Pawgeant!” Register at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf7ooZwz-mjpm3ONX-rTdl_uwsNd5CtTDgSaPBzUp2vE-AnVQ/viewform.
- Entertainment throughout the day featuring evening headliner Avenue G at 7 p.m. on the main stage, along with:
- DJ Laken Pitts, between sets all day and after-party in the evening
- Kids’ Carnival, 10 a.m. at the Cullman County Museum gazebo
- Cullman Community Band, 10 a.m. on the main stage
- Magic show with Brian Reaves, 10 a.m. on the 1st Avenue stage
- Cullman High School Jazz Band, 11 a.m. on the main stage
- Cullman Civic Ballet’s “Alice in Wonderland,” 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. on the 1st Avenue stage
- Wallace State Dancers, 11:45 a.m. and 1:45 p.m. on the 1st Avenue stage
- The Humdingers, noon, 12:50 and 1:40 p.m. on the main stage
- Cullman Middle School Jazz Band, 2 p.m. on the main stage.
- Wallace State jazz Band and Singers, 4 p.m. on the main stage.
- Cullman Ballet Theatre School, 4 p.m. on the 1st Avenue stage.
- Lorirayne Music, 6 p.m. on the main stage.
- “Strawberry Soda Throwdown,” 12 p.m. on the 1st Avenue stage and 5 p.m. on the main stage.
- Strawberry eating contest, 2 p.m. on the 1st Avenue stage.
- Strawberry bucket hoisting contest, 5:30 p.m. on the main stage.
- Cornhole tournament, 6:15 at the Festhalle; registration opens at 5 p.m.
- The Cullman County Library Bookmobile will be on-site, and LifeSouth will be holding a blood drive.
CPRST Executive Director Zac Wood told The Tribune, “We are so excited to have the opportunity to give our friends and neighbors a chance to be together again! The weather is going to be beautiful, and over one hundred craft and food vendors will be at the festival for you to enjoy.
“Come out to Strawberry Festival, bring your family and friends, and have a great time on a beautiful day!”
Copyright 2021 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.