CULLMAN, Ala. – On Thursday, the Cullman Savings Bank Foundation, in partnership with the Wallace State Future Foundation, honored 19 county high school students named 2019 foundation scholarship recipients. In a luncheon at Top of the Town, each recipient was introduced and received an additional gift presented by Cullman Savings Bank President John Riley and Vice President Clara Kent, selected according to the student’s intended field of study.
- Francisco Ayala, Cold Springs, laptop computer
- Matthew Baughman, Fairview, laptop computer
- Dustin Burney, CATA/Fairview, Lowe’s gift card
- Myra Rios Cortes, CATA/Fairview, cosmetology kit
- Tess Duke, Holly Pond, laptop computer
- Chase Dupree, CATA/Fairview, laptop computer
- Braden Holmes, Hanceville, laptop computer
- Nikki Light, Holly Pond, laptop computer
- Hunter Manley, West Point, laptop computer
- Christy Perales, Vinemont, laptop computer
- Daniel Price, Good Hope, laptop computer
- Dawson Ray, Cold Springs, laptop computer
- Brisa Romero, Vinemont, laptop computer
- McKenna Sharpton, CATA/West Point, laptop computer
- Hannah Silvers, Hanceville, laptop computer
- Jesse Smith, Fairview, culinary kit and uniforms
- Kara Tingle, Good Hope, laptop computer
- Makaley Whitfield, Holly Pond, laptop computer
- Stormy Williamson, Cold Springs, laptop computer
Additionally, returning 2018 recipients Katelyn Neely and Presley Marks, who are both going into nursing, received Apple watches and gift cards to Uniform Place. Emily James, a 2017 recipient who has completed two years at Wallace and is in her first semester of the nursing program, received a cash award.
James addressed the audience, saying, “Before starting Wallace State, I was a high school senior who had no other way to pay for college besides taking out loans or working countless hours. I had applied for multiple scholarships with no luck at receiving one. Then one day, Mrs. Barnett, who is the counselor at the Cullman Area Technology Academy, called me into her office and told me that I had received the Future Foundation Cullman Savings Bank Scholarship! I was completely thrilled to know that the burden of paying for school was no longer a problem, and that I could focus on my grades.
“Now, I am proud to say that I have been through two years of school and I have no debt. I want to say a huge thank you to everyone at the Future Foundation and Cullman Savings Bank for this amazing opportunity I have been given for the past two years. I know that all of the recipients here will appreciate it just as much as I do! Thank you!”
Cullman Savings Bank Foundation Board
Dr. Paul Bussman
Judge Kim Chaney
Ms. Nancy McClellan
Dr. Bill Peinhardt
Wallace State Future Foundation representatives
Suzanne Harbin, director of advancement
Cherie Smith, donor relations coordinator
Cullman Savings Bank representatives
Copyright 2019 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.