Crowds filled Depot Park during 2017’s Strawberry Festival. (Cullman Tribune file photo)
I asked the Tribune TASTEMAKERS for suggestions on “must-do” things in Cullman to enjoy sometime during this new year, and with their input could roster 2,019, but here are 19 superb ones for you:
- “THE YEAR OF ‘BIG FISH’ STARTS IN 2019—We’re looking for an opportunity to watch the movie, “BIG FISH,” with a big fan, Mayor Woody Jacobs; Cullman, AL inspired writer, Daniel Wallace, to create the best-selling novel that comes magically alive in “BIG FISH” the movie, and in spring 2020, Wallace State Theatre for the first time in our area is staging “BIG FISH: The Musical.”
- THE ALABAMA BIRD GARDEN—Thursday, Feb. 21, acclaimed Alabama birdman Herb Lewis will be in Cullman “LIVE” for a FREE talk being broadcast throughout the state on “How To Create An Inviting Garden For Alabama Birds.”—reservations at Alabama Extension 256-737-9386
- BICYCLE AROUND SPORTSMAN LAKE TRAILS—affordable bike rental for an hour or all-day
- TAKE AN APRIL BICENTENNIAL WALKING TOUR—FREE every Saturday morning in April, Cullman County Museum
- SHINY, NEW YEAR CAR AND MOTORCYCLE PHOTOGRAPHY SHOW—Evelyn Burrow Museum opens “LUSTER” Jan. 12 and closes Feb. 10
- HOLD KATIE AND JACOB FINE’S NEW BABY, Cooper Paul Fine, at Karma’s Coffee House in the Warehouse District, BYOB (Bring Your Own Baby) for a Cullman cluster of cuteness.
- SIP A GARDEN-FRESH, ORIGINAL BUNNY MELON COCKTAIL at 412 Public House (recipe by head bartender, Christine Chamblee Nishimura, first shared by The Cullman Tribune in 2018).
- EAT EXQUISITE, MADE-FROM-SCRATCH BAKED SWEETS by Lisa at Flavors Bakery.
- STOP AND SMELL THE SOUPS made fresh by Laci Schuman and culinary team at Southern Eats in Mae’s Food Hall.
- GET SOMETHING OF YOURS PERSONALIZED by From The Heart Monogramming (Personal testimony: THE BEST, GENUINE, SINCERE, CHARMING CUSTOMER SERVICE in Cullman in 2018)
- HEAR BARRY STONER PLAY MAGNIFICENT PIPE ORGAN AT SACRED HEART CHURCH—look for any and every opportunity to have your heart soar to the heavens in this Cullman landmark.
- CELEBRATE ST. PATRICK’S DAY with a fresh, delicious Reuben sandwich at Rumors Deli (Note: In 2019, St. Paddy’s is on Sunday, March 17, so many are celebrating on 3/16).
- NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED SACRED HARP SINGING at Cullman County Courthouse in July
- CULLMAN STRAWBERRY FESTIVAL—with fresh, local berries, goodies, LIVE MUSIC and fun on Saturday, May 4 at the Festhalle Farmers’ Market
- BLOOMIN’ FESTIVAL—arts and crafts, LIVE music, festival food April 6-7 at St. Bernard; tour Ave Maria Grotto prayer garden
- TAKE A HERITAGE CRAFTS CLASS at the North Alabama AGRIPLEX, a full-year of choices
- HIKE HURRICANE CREEK PARK—thrill to the natural beauty and amazing biodiversity of this Cullman-area wonderland
- SIP LOCAL, CRAFT BEER AND ENJOY BRATWURST at award-winning Goat Island Brewing; Richter’s Pilsner is a favorite brew; also, sample the house-made wines
- STRAP ON YOUR LEDERHOSEN and GET YOUR OOMPAH ON at Cullman OKTOBERFEST, Oct. 2-5
There’s you 19 terrific things to do in 2019 from The Cullman Tribune TASTEMAKERS. Happy New Year to all!
Copyright 2019 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.