The dread pirate Black Stache (Graffin Shaddrix) attempts to recruit Peter (Atticus Phillips) to join his crew. (W.C. Mann for The Cullman Tribune)
CULLMAN – On Friday, Cullman High School Theatre (CHST) premiered its award-winning production of “Peter and the Starcatcher,” the story of a remarkable girl and an orphan boy, and the adventure that creates a backstory for one of the most beloved characters in children’s literature. Molly (Chandler Greer) and the anonymous orphan (Atticus Phillips) attempt to keep a secret and supernaturally powerful treasure from the hands of the malaprop-prone and insanely over-the-top pirate Black Stache (whose portrayal by Graffin Shaddrix is one of the show’s highlights). When Stache, while attempting to recruit the orphan and secure the treasure, offers the boy the name “Peter,” you begin to get the idea that you might know this story, though you’ve definitely never heard this take on it before.
CHST Director Wayne Cook told The Tribune, “It’s a different kind of show. We wanted to do something a little different with our kids. We took a selection of this from here that we did tonight, we did it at district and state Trumbauer, which is our state competition that we do. And it’s a good show for that, because it uses a lot of kids, a lot of people. And we have a big department; we want to use a lot of people and things like that.
“We won all kinds of awards at district, and then we were honored to represent our district at state. And there were like 14 schools that did a one-act at state. So we’re very happy with the results, and our kids did a fabulous job with it. And it’s been well-received by people all over the state, so we’re very happy about how it went.”
CHST’s honors for “Peter and the Starcatcher” at the Alabama Conference of Theatre’s Walter Trumbauer Secondary Theatre Festival district three competition included:
- Best in Show
- Best Actor – Graffin Shaddrix
- Best Supporting Actor – Clay Brown
- All Star Cast – Atticus Phillips, Micah Coucke, Sam Jones, Chandler Greer, Isaiah Fuller, and Grant Holland.
- Best Ensemble
- Best Costumes
- Best Scenery
- Best Tech
- Multiple Superior Medals
CHST will put on a second performance of “Peter and the Starcatcher” tonight at 7 p.m. in the CHS school auditorium. Tickets will be available at the door for $10 for adults and $5 for students.
- Orphan boy/Peter – Atticus Phillips
- Prentiss – Devon Campbell
- Ted – Clay Brown
- Lord Leonard Aster – Micah Coucke
- Molly Aster – Chandler Greer
- Mrs. Bumbrake – Abby West
- Robert Falcon Smith – Isaiah Fuller
- Grempkin – Alyssa Sandlin
- Bill Slank – Sam Jones
- Alf – Matthew Smith
- Mack – David Goymer
- Black Stache – Graffin Shaddrix
- Smee – Grant Holland
- Sanchez – Dawson Culver
- Narrators – Caleb Brown, Adam Cooner, Olivia Noblett, Miracle Corley, Dana Cordes, Laci New, Trent Lee, Kate Rains, Mary Clare Page, Tiffany Dotson, Sayre Milne
- Sailors – CoCo Eddleman, Logan Holley, Brooke Quattlebaum, Tiffany Dotson
- Pirates – Natalie Thrasher, Macey Orr
Stage crew – Ashley Clowers, Devon Kunter, Claudio Ramirez, Jacob Dye, Jake Watcher, Sara Reeves, Alyssa Tancredi, Bailey Grace Smith, Bryce Holton
Tech crew – Lauren Thiot, Emiley Gable, Annabelle Howze, Zach Harbison
- Directors – Wayne Cook, Sarah Jane Skinner
- Stage Manager – Emma Mansour
- Asst. Stage Mgr. – Olivia Wood
- Technical Manager – Matthew Smith
Copyright 2018 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.