Clockwise from left: Jenna Nelson Culpepper and her husband, Will Culpepper (courtesy photo); Audrey Hepburn in “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” (Howell Conant/Paramount); Neil deGrasse Tyson (www.haydenplanetarium.org)
In this creative new weekly series, local author, artist and all-around entertaining and eccentric (not to mention classy!) Southern gentleman Ben Johnson South introduces Cullman Tribune readers to the creative thinkers and doers in the Cullman community.
“10 Things from a Tribune Tastemaker”
This week, meet Jenna Nelson Culpepper, stylist/partner, Salon Luxe
The setting is dinner at the museum enjoying a lively chat with Mayor Woody Jacobs and Connie, who looked great, when I get captivated by a woman with beautiful, fashionable hair beside us. I glance across the room to see if the woman’s husband is there and, dammit, he is, and he also has a smart haircut. Later, I discreetly discover their stylist is Jenna Nelson Culpepper, co-owner of Salon Luxe, and promptly stop driving to Mountain Brook every month for a trim.
Here, from the creative world of hair and beauty, are 10 things from this TASTEMAKER:
- JENNA’S “GO TO” HAIRCUTTER—Andrea Barnett, partner at Salon Luxe, or fellow stylist, Misty Fletcher, both “amazingly talented”
- EGYPTIANS OF THE PHARAOHS /NEIL DEGRASSE TYSON—favorite sculptor and favorite scientist mentioned when I compliment her sculpting skill and science smarts
- THE KARDASHIANS—would love to “makeover”
- THE FANNY PACK—wishes she had invented
- DUCHESS DONUTS—favorite Cullman indulgence
- MICHELLE PFEIFFER (“Batman Returns”), Ashley Judd (“Double Jeopardy”), Michael Douglas (“War Of The Roses”)—favorite, movie hairstyles
- KEVIN MURPHY’S SESSION SPRAY—great hold and doesn’t leave hair “brittle or gummy”
- HOLIDAY, 2018—beauty trend is “enhanced but natural”
- GET A “BLOWOUT”—best way to try a new stylist
- JENNIFER ANISTON/WILL CULPEPPER (husband)—hair she loves
Other Jenna favorites: LOMA Maximum Volume Solution; Saint Augustine, Florida; The Judds' “Grandpa” (song she most wants to join in on); Charlize Theron (girl crush); Audrey Hepburn in “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” (look to recreate for a fashion retrospective of Cullman designer, Charles Kleibacker); MOTTO: “Hey Jude, you can’t always get what you want. (Ha)”
Christine Chamblee Nishimura, head bartender, 412 Public House
Copyright 2018 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.