CULLMAN – Downtown Cullman will be the place to be Friday afternoon and into the evening. Events include this month’s 2nd Fridays festival, the inaugural Cullman Area 2nd Fridays Furry 5K & 1-Mile Family Dog Walk and the annual Celebrate Cullman shindig.
Kicking off at 4 p.m. on First Avenue Southeast across from Moe’s Original BBQ, Celebrate Cullman, sponsored by the Cullman Downtown Merchants Association, will feature live games and music, free games and prizes, free carnival rides and more. Celebrate Cullman will go through 9 p.m.
Beginning at 5 p.m. just a short distance north, 2nd Fridays, presented by the Cullman Area Chamber of Commerce and Cullman Parks, Recreation, & Sports Tourism, “will be anchored by Dog Day in Depot Bark, featuring the inaugural Cullman Area 2nd Fridays Furry 5K & 1-Mile Family Dog Walk, a dog parade, dog art and other dog-friendly activities.”
2nd Fridays ends at 10 p.m.
2nd Fridays activities include:
• Drivin' Blind on the Dairy Queen Grill & Chill Restaurant Stage
• Trick Zipper on the Shirley Quattlebaum – State Farm Insurance Agent Stage
• Alex Swindle on the Artist Alley Stage
• The ever-growing Branham Accessories – Line-X antique and classic car Cruise-In
• The R.E. Garrison Trucking, Inc. Show Lot, with RVs, the Buffalo Wild Wings Kids' Zone, the Cullman County Public Library System Bookmobile and the U Do It Snow Kone Factory truck
• The James R Smith Trucking Artist Alley, with artists, Chamber member pop-up shops and music lining First Street Northeast
• Farm Y'all Cullman, sponsored by the Cullman County Industrial Development Authority and highlighted by a specially opened Festhalle Farmers' Market. This month's activities will also include a mechanical bull, sponsored by C H Harris.
• A peach-themed food demonstration, sponsored by American Proteins Inc
• Extended retail and dining hours at participating Cullman Warehouse District and downtown Cullman stores
• Food trucks
• The Cullman County Conservation District's Agventure trailer
Said the Chamber, “Admission is completely free, but don't forget your pocketbook to support area eateries, merchants, vendors, artists and farmers! Attendees are highly encouraged to bring their own chairs as well.”
The inaugural Cullman Area 2nd Fridays Furry 5K and 1-Mile Family Dog Walk begins at 7 p.m. Both the 5K and walk will start and finish at Depot Park. The 5K route will take runners around Cullman High School, by Stiefelmeyer Park and up Fourth Avenue Northwest back toward the event area.
Registration for the 5K is now $25. https://www.active.com/search?keywords=furry&location=Cullman%2C+AL&category=Activities&daterange=All+future+dates
“The first 10 male and female 5K finishers will receive a ‘pawsitively’ awesome medal. Participants in the 5K are encouraged to run with their dogs, but it is not required.
“All proceeds benefit the Wallace State Community College Cross Country program. Registration for the 1-Mile Family Dog Walk is free, but donations are encouraged and will be accepted at the event.”
Schedule of events
•Packet Pick-Up: 5:30-6:45 p.m. in Depot Park
•Furry 5K: 7 p.m.
•1-Mile Family Dog Walk: 7:15 p.m.
•Awards: 8:15 p.m.
“There will be one aid station — for pups and their human pals — near the midway point of the 5K. Water bowls and treats will be waiting at the finish line.
“The party won’t stop after the race, either. There will be several other dog-related activities set up in Depot Park, as well as the usual slate of entertainment — live music, a car show, kids’ areas, a specially opened farmers market, shopping, dining, art, beverages and more — that’s quickly made 2nd Fridays one of Cullman County’s biggest summer hits!”
For more information, contact the Cullman Chamber at 256-734- 0454 or email@example.com. Updates will also be posted to the “2nd Fridays Cullman” event Facebook page.
Copyright 2018 Humble Roots, LLC. All Rights Reserved.