Mirroring History: From The Alabama Odd Fellows Home to Childhaven

By:
0
5386
Cullman County Museum

CULLMAN – Childhaven’s main building, the original white, four story building was dedicated on April 15th, 1910 as The Alabama Odd Fellows Home. By 1923, the Home had grown to house 97 children and was cultivating 200 acres of farmland.

When the Great Depression struck, severe financial problems forced the closing of the home in 1937. In the fall of 1938, all the furnishings and equipment were sold at public auction. The remaining children were placed back with their families and the property was abandoned.

In 1948, a group of interested Christians purchased the property, and Childhaven was born. Today, the Childhaven Campus includes nine large residential cottages (group homes), a full size gymnasium, a maintenance facility/shop, a pool, a Campus Minister’s residence, as well as the original building that remains the centerpiece of the property.

Childhaven, Inc. is located at 1816 Childhaven Road, Cullman, AL 35055. Their phone number is 256-734-6720. Find out more information about them at www.childhaven.com.

Their Mission Statement is as follows: “Childhaven exists to bring every child into a lifelong relationship with God through His Son, Jesus the Christ, by meeting that child’s every need.”